Quick question regarding allocation profile distances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
greengekho

Quick question regarding allocation profile distances

Post by greengekho »

On the allocation profiles, are the distances offered to out of catchment measured from the school itself, or the boundary of the catchment area?
For example, if a school had a perfectly circular catchment radius of 4 miles, and places were offered to 3.2 miles, would that mean places were offered to 7.2 miles? Or does it mean places couldn't be offered to everyone within catchment - only those up to 3.2 miles away?
I had assumed the school itself, but as some have very small distances listed, e.g. 0.89 miles, I'm now wondering whether they are from the catchment boundary instead?

TIA
scary mum

Re: Quick question regarding allocation profile distances

Post by scary mum »

It's the total, it is a little confusing, but it means that they have gone to a distance of X miles, which also happens to be out of catchment.
scary mum
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Thanks for the prompt reply scary mum...but I still don't understand. Is it measured from the school itself or the catchment boundary? Sorry.
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

greengekho wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply scary mum...but I still don't understand. Is it measured from the school itself or the catchment boundary? Sorry.
The distances as measured from the school and not catchment boundary.
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Thank you!
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

I'm guessing some of the boundary edges might be very close to the school, particularly for schools near the county borders, or where there are other schools nearby. That would explain the low numbers you see occasionally!

There's often a difference in where the line starts within the school grounds though; some might be the middle of the school, others from the (main/any) school gate. Not that this made a difference to me a few years ago :oops: :oops: (the joy of missing out by 50 yards!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now