Bucks selection review advice -IMO

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Imo

Bucks selection review advice -IMO

Post by Imo »

Like others, reluctantly seeking advice.

Daughter gained 117: 114 VR, 120 Maths, 123 NV. She was expected to pass, has a 2:1 (under the new system so recommended without hesitation) scoring from Head and school is fully supportive of going to selection review. I have yet to get the details of results over past few years to back anything up, but she has consistently had reports with a good proportion of "targets exceeded". We have a number of extenuating circumstances to mention, nothing individually of huge significance but all combined worth mentioning.

I have a few questions:

1. There was very inconsistent teaching throughout the year (8 teachers in total). It was all openly discussed with school who were totally cooperative and I understand it is sadly the case in many schools. However, I was particularly worried about the quality of maths teaching which has always been her strongest subject and would expect to exceed her other scores quite considerably - not the case.

I have proof of email correspondence throughout the year expressing my concerns and arranging to meet with the school to discuss further. Firstly, is this admissible evidence and if so, the emails mention names so should these be omitted? In one case I also go on to mention other concerns about one particular teachers behaviour - should I blank this bit out?

2. She was very anxious the week of the test due to a family illness among other things. I wrote to the school (on the morning of the mock as she had been really upset going to school that day) to warn them and ask them to keep an eye on her.

She came straight out on test day and said she had completely panicked, not helped by the disruption caused due to the problem questions, when her class were left while the issue was flagged up (understandable, had to be done). I realise mentioning the disruption is not ideal, but as her VR score is lower than the others and I had flagged up she was anxious a few days earlier do you think I could mention this?

Many thanks for your help!
Etienne

Re: Bucks selection review advice -IMO

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, however reluctant! :)
Imo wrote: 1. There was very inconsistent teaching throughout the year (8 teachers in total). It was all openly discussed with school who were totally cooperative and I understand it is sadly the case in many schools. However, I was particularly worried about the quality of maths teaching which has always been her strongest subject and would expect to exceed her other scores quite considerably - not the case.

I have proof of email correspondence throughout the year expressing my concerns and arranging to meet with the school to discuss further. Firstly, is this admissible evidence
I think so, although take care not to swamp the panel with too much email correspondence from throughout the year.

If the school is indeed co-operative, the best approach would be to see if the head would be willing to mention issues such as the 8 teachers in total on the headteacher review form.
and if so, the emails mention names so should these be omitted? In one case I also go on to mention other concerns about one particular teachers behaviour - should I blank this bit out?
It would be diplomatic to do so.
2. She was very anxious the week of the test due to a family illness among other things. I wrote to the school (on the morning of the mock as she had been really upset going to school that day) to warn them and ask them to keep an eye on her.
Good because the head should be able to confirm this.
She came straight out on test day and said she had completely panicked, not helped by the disruption caused due to the problem questions, when her class were left while the issue was flagged up (understandable, had to be done). I realise mentioning the disruption is not ideal, but as her VR score is lower than the others and I had flagged up she was anxious a few days earlier do you think I could mention this?
Briefly.
Etienne
Imo

Post by Imo »

Thank you so much for your quick response and help. I might be back with more questions as the process goes on!
Imo

Post by Imo »

Hello, back again!

I have just discovered that the school don't do CAT or any other standardised tests to include on the form. Will this be detrimental? Is there anything else we could do to help her case? She was working at greater depth in year 5, and most of years 2 to 4, some were meeting expectations. She has predictions 111-120 for year 6.

Many thanks for your help again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Imo wrote:I have just discovered that the school don't do CAT or any other standardised tests to include on the form. Will this be detrimental?
Not necessarily, although if you had an alternative VR score of, say, 128 (either CAT, NFER, or ed. psych) you could have argued that the VR of 114 was a blip.
Is there anything else we could do to help her case?
Nothing I can really add to what I've already written in E32b:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Imo

Post by Imo »

Thank you very much.

Last question I hope.... I see mentioned that reference to wanting to go to a particular school for a reason relating to that school's teaching strengths is worth disclosing at appeal stage. It is also relevant for our first choice of school (they have strong veterinary ed links). Is it also relevant to mention in selection review?

Thank you in advance. As others have stated, having the support of this forum has been invaluable at such a stressful time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Imo wrote:I see mentioned that reference to wanting to go to a particular school for a reason relating to that school's teaching strengths is worth disclosing at appeal stage. It is also relevant for our first choice of school (they have strong veterinary ed links). Is it also relevant to mention in selection review?
It's irrelevant for a review.
E32(c):
    • Please be aware that the only issue for a review to consider is whether the child should be deemed qualified. The only thing to matter would therefore be academic evidence of high ability and extenuating circumstances. Reasons for wanting a place (such as “there is already a sibling at the school”) are completely irrelevant.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you in advance. As others have stated, having the support of this forum has been invaluable at such a stressful time.
Glad to have been of some help. :D
Etienne
Imo

Post by Imo »

Another question after all!!

Year 5 report is very good academically. But the teacher statement is very misleading and at odds with our report - because the teacher writing it had been with the class for about 3 days!

Is it better not to include it, and if so, should I state the reason why?

Thank you!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Imo wrote:Is it better not to include it
Perhaps best not to, but difficult to say without knowing how detrimental it is.
and if so, should I state the reason why?
A school report isn't a requirement, so no need to explain its absence.
Etienne
Imo

Post by Imo »

I am delighted and so relieved to report a successful selection review. I can't thank you enough for the support and advice and very much hope others have been successful too.