RGS or JHGR for a football-mad son?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
squidsin

RGS or JHGR for a football-mad son?

Post by squidsin »

The question says it all really! I've looked round both schools and really liked both but there are obviously pros and cons for both. My son is academic but also absolutely nuts about football. He's pretty good at it (although unlikely to be playing in the Premier League any day soon!) and would obviously like the chance to play for his school as well as local teams/academies which he's already heavily involved with. Is this better at JHGR or RGS? I know the emphasis is obviously more on rugby at RGS (which he's not interested in - well, not at the moment anyway - but cricket he definitely is) but I didn't get a sense from the kid showing us round (who was lovely but obviously not very interested in sports himself) whether there are opportunities to be on a football team etc at RGS. However, the sports facilities there were brilliant and my son's eyes were out on stalks! It may end up being the deciding factor for us so would love to hear anyone's opinions/experiences!
kittymum

Re: RGS or JHGR for a football-mad son?

Post by kittymum »

RGS don’t do football. You can see their sports fixtures and teams here:

https://www.schoolssports.com/school/we ... spx?id=278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JHGS do play football although I have heard from friends that unless you play competitively out of school it is difficult to get in teams but I imagine that’s pretty much the same for all schools and all sports.
TNM47

Post by TNM47 »

RGS do play football but not competitively whereas JH do play competitively - so only those who are really good will get any chance to play.
kestrel

Post by kestrel »

TNM47 wrote:RGS do play football but not competitively whereas JH do play competitively - so only those who are really good will get any chance to play.
We were at the open morning today and second TNM47's statement above. Rugby, Hockey and Fencing were mentioned as the main sports.
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Don't forget, kids don't have to do everything at school...your son could choose whichever school he prefers, and play football for his local team instead.
squidsin

Post by squidsin »

greengekho wrote:Don't forget, kids don't have to do everything at school...your son could choose whichever school he prefers, and play football for his local team instead.
He does that already and is in academy. That's what I am wondering - does his school career need to be based round football too?
JeffWG

Post by JeffWG »

Our son is also footy mad and plays outside of school so I thought this would be a blocker but he prefers the school. We asked if he was sure and his answer was that it would allow him to try hockey.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

My son "was" football mad and so initially wanted to go JHGS, probably because his friends we also wanting to go for that reason. We slyly asked the 6th former showing us around if boys can play football socially and he said yes and that and the shorter distance to get to school convinced our son to choose RGS.

Now he has no interest anymore in football! Is doing musical instrument and planning to try a few different sports at RGS.
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

Hi,

Is cricket more popular at one school than the other?

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now