explanation/advise from teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BLANCA

explanation/advise from teachers

Post by BLANCA »

This has nothing to do with 11+ so sorry but I know there are lots of teachers on this sit that cam maybe help me.

As I was collecting my younger dd from school yesterday (year 3) teacher asked me to sign a plp, which I had not seen, and then in front of other parents and my dd began telling me that she thinks dd has a problem but is not qualified to tell me the name of it she said Its probably that Opto thingy where the letters move around on the page (her exact words) she then said dd had done some test with a ta but too late in the term to do anything and will pass on to year four teacher. to make it worse year 3 teacher is leaving the school at the end of the term so I am not happy to just wait and see what happens after the summer in year four. Am I being over sensitive or should I ask for A meeting with teacher and find out exactly what has been going on now before this teacher leaves. I don't want to be worrying all summer I would rahter know now and maybe start looking into things myself. What should I do

Thanks for any advise
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ask for a meeting with the class teacher and/or the Senco.

Ask them to explain more about what they think your daughter's difficulty is, how they are targetting that difficulty and if there is anything you can do at home to help. At least they have realised that your daughter has a difficulty and are trying to address this before she falls behind. Teh explanation could have been a bit better admittedly!
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

thanx yoyo
Hope

Post by Hope »

I agree with yoyo. Definately ask for a meeting with the teacher and the SENCo, it would also be good to include your daughters next teacher if possible. Also as the teacher is leaving ask her to record all her observations and what she believes your daughters problems are, ask her to give you a copy and pass a copy on to the next teacher. You can then follow this up with the new teacher at the beginning of next term.
DiW

Post by DiW »

I'm not a teacher nor an expert on this however it sounds rather like Irlen's syndrome. My daughter has this and wears tinted glasses to help reduce the movement of the letters on the page. We only found out because she was complaining of headaches so I took her to the optician where she was diagnosed. it might be worth taking your daughter to one?
The glasses work well for my daughter and keep the problem under control. She is able to read a lot faster and more accurately with them on and I think she might have struggled to complete the 11+ papers in time without them.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

thanx everyone

i have a meeting with teacher and senco on monday. I did read up a bit on irlens symdrome today, and will see what they say monday and let you all know.

thank you again for all your advice
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

let me know how you get on.
wardie

Post by wardie »

My ds had a similar problem which was high-lighted in year 2 and we were given a coloured overlay by the optition.

It worked wonders (when he remembered it). The teacher told me that there were several children in the year ( out of 90) that either had coloured glasses or overlays.

He worked hard and hasn't needed the overlay for the last year or so. I am glad I didn't go down the root of the (expensive) glasses.

Hope you get things sorted with the school.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've photocopied worksheets onto coloured paper before. i tried several different colours to find out which the child found easier to read
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Hi all

Just thought i'd up date you. I have just had a meeting with teacher and senco. They have given me some tests that dd has done at school. They are called Laurance Haines spld base/literacy assessment pack. After telling me that it could be something to do with words moving around on the page, they are now saying that her reading is fine its just vowels & spelling. I don't really understand & I wish I had taken someone else with me as I feel the conversation i've just had is very different to the one on monday. After saying that it is more spelling then reading they still mentiond a specific optician who uses a visagragh and supplies tinted glasses, also suggested hearing test.

Her sats were reading 3c, writing 2b, maths 3b, science 3a/4c

has anyone else used laurance haines assesments and what did you think of them. Is there anything else I should have asked? done?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now