Bexley Grammar vs Chids & Sids?!?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Robert Dyas

Bexley Grammar vs Chids & Sids?!?

Post by Robert Dyas »

Hello!!, We are really struggling to choose between these two schools and would welcome feedback from people who have kids at either - please sell me your school!

We visited both twice and liked them both a lot. Bexley has the plusses of the IB, excellent languages (daughter is bi-lingual already), and the academic reputation which we like. The head teacher and students all spoke well at open days as well. It is also slightly more convenient a commute from our house than C&S, so we were leaning of this as our first preference.

But for all that, for some unspecified reason we couldn't pinpoint we really loved the C&S school more. The kids who guided us were great and the layout out of the school was nice and much nicer that BGS. Our daughter liked both but really preferred C&S. The only negative on the visit was that the Head and the deputy head were very uninspiring when they spoke compared to BGS and were actually disappointing really overall. Maybe we got them on a bad day.... It will also be a bit more of a hassle to commute, particularly with the earlier start, but if she goes by train and not bus it should be similar.

C&S seemed a little more relaxed, sporty, and arty than BGS, which is perhaps a bit more academic? I'm keen on girls playing lots of sport, but swings and roundabouts I suppose when you choose your electives..

I'm sure she will be happy at both, but we would really like to get views from you the experts who may have some positive or negative tales to share with your kids there before we amend our CAF (we submitted BGS last week  -
but are having reservations on whether we made right choice and should amend it before the deadline!).

Thanks
shelley75

Re: Bexley Grammar vs Chids & Sids?!?

Post by shelley75 »

My daughter is year 8 at C&S and I think you've been spot on in your assessment. I would have chosen Bexley Grammar for myself as I love languages but Chis n Sid was perfect for my daughter who is very arty. She's also a tomboy and the school has quite a masculine vibe (if that makes sense). There's more boys than girls in her class and that suits her very well.

You can't go wrong with either. It really a question of best fit for your child.
Catjellycat

Post by Catjellycat »

I have a son in Year 8 at BGS and he’s doing very well. He’s very sporty and seems to be in a club everyday after school. He’s not at all arty so I can’t speak for that.

I think from the sounds of it, you should put c&s first. If it’s where your daughter liked best then I think that’s your answer. Unless the commute is a real humdinger.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

My DD has just gone into C&S sixth form after being at the school since year 7. She has loved her time there. Where we live, she had the choice of 3 Bexley Grammar schools and despite Bexley Grammar being only a walk away, she chose to go to C&S. As soon as we looked around we knew it was the right fit for her. She is also a bit of a tomboy but there are plenty of girls that aren’t! I would also second what Catjellycat has said, you should go with your DD’s choice.
Robert Dyas

Post by Robert Dyas »

Thanks for all the feedback that is very useful and appreciated! What were your thoughts on the Head and Deputy head at C&S (the speeches were terrible at open day!)? And the other teachers generally? Have you found them to be good? Would you say C&S also pushes a very high academic standard?
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

I wasn't there for this year's HM talk at C&S but have seen him speak in previous years and I can't quite share your opinion of him. In fact, 2 years ago the HM gave a very limited number of private (very small groups) tours which showed him to be very committed and engaging. It was certainly very helpful to get to see the school and the kids interacting with the Head without the mad crowds.
Robert Dyas

Post by Robert Dyas »

Thanks. That's reassuring. Open days no doubt a very long and tiring day.
Didn't mean to sound too harsh. Was just the speeches were quite robotic and they didn't seem very engaging on the night. Was hoping this was an unfair perception.
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

I went on one of the head's tours 2 years ago. He told us he was doing it because he knew he didn't come across as well speaking to large groups.

I found the head to be a really nice man who's great with the children (which is what is most important).

I think they have a high academic standard. My daughter gets quite a lot of homework (I really wouldn't want her to get any more!)

They are very strict (detentions for everything: lateness, missed homework, forgotten kit). It's good because the expectations are there from the beginning.
newts40

Post by newts40 »

Thanks Shelley. That might explain it!
ChalkyC

Post by ChalkyC »

Newts - we felt similar about the C&S head - his speech was terrible and very uninspiring. He did seem much better when we had a quick chat 1-1. The C&S open morning really didn’t sell the school to us though - totally chaotic. We’re too far from BG so can’t compare however.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now