Judd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Herewego1

Judd

Post by Herewego1 »

Hi all,

There was a thread on here previously where somebody had some opinions on Judd but only by pm. I can’t find the thread, anyone know where it is? I am interested in this person’s opinions.

Hoping to send my son to Judd.

Thanks
Herewego1

Re: Judd

Post by Herewego1 »

Also if anyone else has any opinions, please share! Good and bad! Thanks!
KHmummy

Post by KHmummy »

My son is Year 12 at Judd and loves it.

He isn’t sporty and that hasn’t held him back, there is a perception that all Judd boys play rugby and are sporty but that isn’t the case - although rugby is compulsory in the lower years.

The boys are highly motivated and fairly competitive. There are lots of extra curricular activities which are optional but if you want to succeed in the school it’s good to get involved.

Pastoral care is fabulous, my son really struggled to adjust in the first few weeks of Year 7 and they stepped in and helped out and by October half term he loved the school. There is also a strong sense of looking out for each other and my son has a group of friends who are like brothers to him.

Beware though, the boys have to score high in their GCSEs to stay on at Sixth Form. Currently 65 points over their best ten GCSEs so it feels like going through 11+ all over again except this time the stakes are much higher.

I must add that my son loved Judd the first time he saw it in Year 5 and he scored 423 in his 11+ so it was always the school for him. Be led by your son, it’s him who’s going to be there for seven years but if he loves it and he’s academically suited to it I’d say Judd all the way.
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

My son joined Judd this term so we don’t have much experience to share yet, but have been delighted to see him so happy. He hasn’t had so much fun at school since Reception! I guess that having a full range of subjects after a very SATs-heavy time at Primary was always going to be refreshing, but he loves the passion the different teachers have for their subjects. My son’s sporting ability is very average but he really looks forward to the rugby and running sessions. Communication with parents has been good and it’s clear who and how to contact if problems arise.
Gcse69

Post by Gcse69 »

My son is in Year 8 and loving it. He isn't hugely into the rugby, but loves the other sports on offer. It took him a while to settle down, but their pastoral care is fantastic.
Excellent teaching and some incredible clubs.
Yes, there is a competitive element and they expect them to put in the effort, but so far, it seems to be suiting him.
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Really helpful, thanks so much all.
countrylifeKat

Post by countrylifeKat »

Would be really interested in hearing from any Judd parents whose child scored something below 400! My DS got 385 (with tutoring, 1 hour per week for year 5 only) and I am a little scared off Judd with all these very high scores! Would a child with such a score be ok there? He is generally a fairly academic child, very bright but needs to be interested/inspired in order to put 100% in to a subject. He loves sport and music, he is competitive but quietly so. Has extremely bright friends going to Judd (probably) so I am expecting him to make it his first choice, but will he feel bottom of the pile? Any advice from current Judd parents gratefully received!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If he has met the cut off to be offered a place, the school deem he is capable of coping.
Gcse69

Post by Gcse69 »

Far too many people in my experience worry about whether they would cope unnecessarily. I have a DD at a super selective who just got in and is doing brilliantly, is well above average and adores school and my son certainly wasn't a high scorer but is also doing great. As other op posted, if you get the score to qualify, and most importantly if your DS really liked the school, then go for it!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Nearly everyone there will have been tutored or at least thoroughly prepared by parents, and some will have had much more tutoring. Sure he will be fine.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now