Bucks SR at 120 - hpsdad

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hps_dad

Bucks SR at 120 - hpsdad

Post by hps_dad »

Hi All,

I was really hoping to not end up on this forum, but our DS scored 120 in the Bucks 11+ with scores as follows:

Verbal: 128
Maths: 114
NVR: 109

We met with the HT on Monday and they told us that they'd graded our DS as 3-3.

The HT mentioned that she has agreed to support our selection review application based on the score of 120 and said she was surprised with the result as DS was seen as borderline for recommendation. HT noted that she will be elaborating on her reservations on the SR form as she is aware of some of the challenges that DS has endured:

1. We moved into the Bucks less than two years ago, Jan 2018 with no known friends and it took him 6-8 months to build friendships due to the already established friend groups. We had support from DS class teacher.
2. DS has been suffering with bullying at school which we've raised several times and we've been referred to an Educational Psychologist.
3. DS suffers from nervous tics which result in involuntary eye rolling and twitching and has been diagnosed by our GP.
4. DS suffers from attention problems and we'd previously had him tested to see if he was on the Autism spectrum (based on advice from his Nursery) and after two years, he was discharged and received speach and language therapy for 6 months.
5. DS likes structure as per those on the spectrum and there were 4 class teacher changes whilst he was in Year 5.

Having read many of the SR posts here and also appeals, I find that we're in a very unique situation due to the low ranking from the HT (3-3) and an STTS score of 120. DS is July born, and has always thrived towards the end of an academic year.

DS was thriving at his previous school prior to our move to Bucks and due to reasons above, we believe the relatively short period of time that the HT has known DS has also lead to the 3-3 score. As every SR post states 2-2 is the minimum in order to be anywhere close to succeeding at SR, we are wondering if our extenuating circumstances, and the exceptional progress DS has made to achieve 120 in the last few months would be grounds to succeed at SR. For DS to achieve 120 and be ranked 3-3, in our eyes (and his tutor's) goes to show that the HT is not really aware of DS true potential.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mummingsince2006

Re: Bucks SR at 120 - hpsdad

Post by Mummingsince2006 »

Hi There - I have DS1 at a Bucks Grammar school and DS2 scores 119.95 raw score. We went through a selection review and subsequent unsuccessful appeal, with a full recommendation from school, extenuating circumstances (with medical evidence) and a 2:1 recommendation.
I would urge you to go back and meet with the school as I do not believe that a 3:3 will be given any weight. At 120, you are in with a good chance (don't have the exact stats - they will be published somewhere) of around 50% success, but you will need the support of the school. Wishing you all the luck - the 11+ process is a pig but the schools are amazing.
hps_dad

Post by hps_dad »

Thank you Mummingsince2006. I'm sorry to hear of your outcome.

The HT mentioned that the ranking has already submitted, and that there is no way for the ranking to be changed now, though she is willing to provide the necessary support around her reservations. We will book another meeting with the HT.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Unsurprisingly, headteachers vary. They are human after all. Some overestimate, some underestimate.
DS was thriving at his previous school prior to our move to Bucks
Are you providing evidence of this?
Was he working at GDS in Maths, Reading & Writing?

With a score of 120 and a 3:3, the rest of the evidence will be crucial.
Etienne
hps_dad

Post by hps_dad »

Hi Etienne,

Thank you so much for your response. I see the wonderful support you provide to those in need of support.

We're in the process of getting the information however, our old school is currently closed for half-term - perfect timing eh? We'll have the numbers next week in readiness to build a better case.

Will be back once I have further information.

Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you haven't already thought of it, it might help the previous school if they could see the sort of information required.
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/media ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would they be willing to fill in the first part of Section 3, the Progress Chart, using "GDS" (if that was the appropriate level)?

Section 4, if there's anything to report.

Would they be able to help with Section 6?
Perhaps you could (diplomatically!) explain that what is needed is not a character reference but something about academic potential. For example:
This review has my strongest possible support …… an extremely able pupil with very considerable academic potential …… would be ideally suited to grammar school …..
Etienne
hps_dad

Post by hps_dad »

I wanted to report back that unfortunately, we were unsuccessful at SR.

The panel noted:
Did not qualify in two elements of the Test. Evidence from the school indicates that the child is working at Expected across all elements since year 4. Head teachers comments and recommendations were noted.
The extenuating circumstances and noted progress over time and did not feel that the circumstances would have affected the score to the extent that the qualifying mark would have been achieved.

We are obvioulsy devastated knowing DS ability, espcially with his recent assessment results in maths which were the best in his group. We're at a loss as to how to progress from here.

The extenuating circumstances which we believe were key here were not taken into account

Congratulations to those that were successful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Really sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, hps_dad.
Evidence from the school indicates that the child is working at Expected across all elements since year 4
I don't think this has been mentioned before.
Unfortunately, "expected level" plus a "3:3" put you in a very weak position.

Personally I think the extenuating circumstances were sufficient, but with a score of 120 that's probably not the real problem.
Accepting the difficulties in Y4/5 following the change of school, the main issue - I suspect - is whether you had sufficient evidence of very high ability from the previous school, and some evidence from the current school predicting very high achievement (i.e. more than the "expected level") by the end of Y6.

If you want to appeal, the first major hurdle is whether you had a fair, consistent and objective review.
The wording of the decision suggests that the panel did indeed take account of extenuating circumstances. They may not have given them the weight you feel was merited, but that's another matter. At an appeal the panel can only be criticised for procedural errors, not for its judgement.

Secondly, if you can overcome the first hurdle, I suggest you would then need predictions of 111-120 and GDS for the end of Y6, and confirmation of rapid progress from the headteacher.

Thirdly, you would need good and specific reasons for wanting a place at the grammar school being appealed for.

Have a look at section D here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sorry to hear this hps_dad, good luck going forward
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now