12+ Any information?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sam2000

12+ Any information?

Post by sam2000 »

Hi,
My son got 119 and I am going through the selection review process. In case that didn't work out I am thinking of 12+
Please can you share any information about

How to prepare
Likely number of school spaces available at that time

Thank you
scary mum

Re: 12+ Any information?

Post by scary mum »

There doesn't seem to be much information out there. Possibly because there are very few places available. The first few posts of this thread might be useful to you as it has some figures in it.
ETA: I have now looked at the BGS admissions policy for next year & they are still taking an extra 30 in year 8 in 2020, but in 2021 the extra 30 will be in year 7, so no extras in year 8 the year you would be looking, I'm afraid.
scary mum
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like there is not much hope in 2021 then. We were targeting RGS. Are there any other avenues? Do they have their own admission tests for in year transfer or anything like that?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

All the information is on the BCC website, so take a look on there. Some schools conduct their own testing in year 8 & so aren't included in the figures in the other thread (not sure about RGS off the top of my head).
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

what are your backup non-selectives?

The issue with 12+ is there are only rarely spaces available for DC to move into: plus if they get on well at their secondary in year 7, to move “just to go to a grammar” will mean disruption/leaving friends, may be a longer journey etc.

By all means put GSs on your CAF at the top, and go for the selection review as if it’s successful you’ll get into the first round of selection (fingers crossed!) but realistically make sure there are a couple of Uppers there also, one of which should be your nearest one/a very likely goer as a backup.
sam2000

Post by sam2000 »

Thanks very much Aethel
Yes we did put a couple of non selective schools close to us as a back up. The grammar school we were targetting was RGS and I realised they don't take people though 12+ anymore as they have their own exam for entry at year8. Anyone has an information on entry to RGS in year 8?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now