Tiffin Girls and Boys - numbers through to 2nd Stage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tryingtokeepup

Tiffin Girls and Boys - numbers through to 2nd Stage

Post by Tryingtokeepup »

Hi

Wonder why, when both schools offer 180 places for Year 7, that Tiffin Girls take c450 through from 1st Stage to 2nd Stage, and the boys take around 600 through? Seems strange to me.
ToadMum

Re: Tiffin Girls and Boys - numbers through to 2nd Stage

Post by ToadMum »

Tryingtokeepup wrote:Hi

Wonder why, when both schools offer 180 places for Year 7, that Tiffin Girls take c450 through from 1st Stage to 2nd Stage, and the boys take around 600 through? Seems strange to me.
Does each school say, 'the top x will be invited to sit the second stage exam', or, 'those meeting a set standard will be...'?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The numbers are decided by these schools after the test and considered sufficient to fill the PAN. I think they also look at the numbers who have passed the round 1 and live in their catchment/designated admission area.

So far these schools have not had to offer outside their catchment/designated admission area.
befuddled19

Post by befuddled19 »

Do they still have many out of catchment children sitting ? The message is pretty clear now.
bridge

Post by bridge »

As Tiffin school has a bigger catchment than the girls school they might assume more boys will choose other schools and just be using the exam for practise.
Tryingtokeepup

Post by Tryingtokeepup »

I got the numbers for their respective websites from previous years. So less chance to get into Tiffin Boys than Girls for Stage 2...

I don’t think they sift out out of catchment boys at Stage 1, do they? So maybe it is because they have wider catchment and more boys ‘pass’?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

More children sit for Tiffin than for Tiffin girls. Chances are roughly similar to pass Stage 1.

As for OOC children, any one can sit for test and many OOC do sit for the test in the hope of relocating or getting place if less IC chose these schools.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

DS decided not to sit Tiffins as the bus journey wouldn’t have been nice, but I’m pretty sure that the boys catchment covers areas (like ours in Sutton) where the boys are likely to choose Wilson’s or Sutton Grammar as a higher preference, so they need to pass more to ensure they have enough boys. Lots of boys at my son’s school are putting Tiffin as a backup to those two schools. Not so many will be in catchment for Nonsuch, Wallington and Tiffins Girls if I have understood the differing catchments correctly.
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Tiffins Boys admission policy (http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... cy2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) says

"...B To boys whose combined score is higher than or equal to the 300th ranked mark of all applicants who
sat the Stage Two Test in the following order of priority"

what is the significance of the 300?.....does that mean they are planning to pass 300 boys to fill the 180 places?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Top 300 number relates to i) looked after or previously looked after children and ii) PP children.

The number of candidates who are invited to stage 2 test is usually around 600. Can change on year to year basis.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now