Advise in selection review /appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS13

Advise in selection review /appeal

Post by KS13 »

My son scored 114 in Bucks ,Very disappointed as son is very bright child.There were personal reasons which might have affected him on the exam day and I am thinking to apply for selection review/appeal.Not sure if should go for selection review or wait for appeal. Please advise and is there any way someone could read my form and give tips as I am not very good in writing ,I tend to explain more than usual and I understand review panel would prefer short and straight information.I am going to meet headteacher in Monday then will know how the case will be strong academically.Many Thanks in advance!!
Etienne

Re: Advise in selection review /appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals!

Please read the Q&As. Some of your questions are answered there, and you will find answers to other questions you haven't even thought of yet! :)
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KS13 wrote:There were personal reasons which might have affected him on the exam day and I am thinking to apply for selection review/appeal.
    • Whatever the circumstances may be, remember:
      The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the overall strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure if should go for selection review or wait for appeal. Please advise
    • "Can you advise whether we would be better off opting for a Bucks selection review or going straight to an appeal?"
      - Sadly, no – there isn’t an easy answer.
      We have set out some of the issues here .....

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With 114 the average success rate at review last year was around 20%.

and is there any way someone could read my form and give tips as I am not very good in writing
If you read the Q&As we offer you lots of advice:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But to be honest, nothing you write is likely to make much difference. What matters is the evidence.
For example, the personal issues would need to be verified by independent professionals (e.g. headteacher/GP).
Etienne
KS13

Post by KS13 »

Dear Etienne,
Thank you so much for your quick reply .My personal reasons were really personal and I didnot discuss these with many .My employer were aware and I can get letter from my manager and also can attach chat history from my phone .Do you think this would be relevant .
In regards to academic support ,I am going to meet headteacher on Monday and hoping she will be able to support us .Many Thanks !!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

KS13 wrote:My employer were aware and I can get letter from my manager
It's probably worth getting, but in this situation what you really need is for the headteacher to write that your son's work deteriorated during this period of time, or that the school noticed he was upset. It's the impact on the child that matters.
In regards to academic support ,I am going to meet headteacher on Monday and hoping she will be able to support us .Many Thanks !!
Good luck!
Etienne
KS13

Post by KS13 »

Dear Etienne,
We met headteacher on Monday and she has kindly sent report today.We found her very supportive.Here is report attached-
BUCKINGHAMSHIRE SELECTION REVIEW SUMMARY SHEET FOR LA AND
PARTNER HEADTEACHERS
2020 ENTRY - SUMMARY OF ACADEMIC EVIDENCE
Name of pupil: X Pupil Number: X
School: X
Year of joining (e.g. Y2): Reception
Date of joining (if known): 05/09/2013
1. TEST RESULTS
STTS: 114
Age standardised scores
Verbal: 106 Mathematical: 133 Non Verbal: 114
Weighted standardised scores
Verbal: 53 Mathematical: 33.25 Non Verbal: 28.5
Practice Test date (if not 10/09/19 ):
Secondary Transfer Test date (if not 12/09/19 ):

GRAMMAR SCHOOL SUITABILITY

2 = Very able so recommended without any reservation

ATTITUDE TO LEARNING

2 = Consistently hard working and reliable

3. PROGRESS CHART
Using your own assessment system convert this to whether this child has not met ( HNM), has met
(EXS) or is working at greater depth (GDS) of age-related expectations.
For the predicted performance refer to Teacher assessment frameworks at the end of Key

Stage 2
Subject KS1 (end if Y2) End of Y3 End of Y4 End of Y5

Predicted-performance July2020
Year 3-Reading -Has met (EXS )
year 4-Has met (EXS)
Year 5 Has met (EXS) Has met (EXS)
Reading predicted score 100-110

Writing year 3-Has met (EXS)
Year 4-Has met (EXS)
Year 5-Has met (EXS)
Predicted score -Working at expected (EXS)

Mathematics year 3- at greater depth
Yr 4-(GDS)Working at greater depth (GDS)
Year 5-Working at greater depth (GDS)
Predicted score -111-120

4. OTHER PRIOR ACADEMIC -

Pira tests with standardised score:
May/ June 2019 Reading 26 out of 40 : 113
May/ June 2019 Maths 48 out of 50 : 139
May/ June 2019 GPS 44 out of 55 : 121

6. HEADTEACHER’S ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IN SUPPORT OF THE CHILD
(including, if a suitability level of 3 or 4 has been given, a clarification of the reservation held):

X has a conscientious attitude to learning and consistently applies himself well to all
subjects and activities. X is a role model to others, he is polite and well mannered both in
class and around the school.
I firmly believe X will thrive in a Grammar setting and recommend him to the panel for consideration .

Pls note ,I have anonymised this report as I understand this is public form.In addition she also added that we discussed with her about personal issues(I have taken out as my understanding is public can view this ,if not please let me know then I would like to share and get advise)

After seeing report,Please are you able to advise if we would be in good position to apply for selection review.

Another thing with personal reason that would have affected my son on the day ,he also mentioned that he was stuck on Q 10 in VR and tried to work out question but it didnot match with answers.He said He knew the method and was really getting confused by not getting answer in answer options.I am aware there was error in the paper which was made aware to us after and board has credited marks for those questions.My concern is that this would have affected on son's confidence and would have impacted on performance of rest of paper.

Please advise.Many thanks!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Pls note ,I have anonymised this report as I understand this is public form.
Very wise!
After seeing report,Please are you able to advise if we would be in good position to apply for selection review.
Reading all the above, I kept thinking to myself "What a delightful pupil"!
The school must count itself lucky to have him.

However, as I wrote earlier on, the success rate at 114 last year was 20%, so the odds are not very favourable.

His maths is really good, isn't it? :)
I think, though, they would probably want to see 111-120 and GDS in Reading & Writing.
Another thing with personal reason that would have affected my son on the day ,he also mentioned that he was stuck on Q 10 in VR and tried to work out question but it didnot match with answers.He said He knew the method and was really getting confused by not getting answer in answer options.I am aware there was error in the paper which was made aware to us after and board has credited marks for those questions.My concern is that this would have affected on son's confidence and would have impacted on performance of rest of paper.
Mention it briefly, for example:
My son said he was stuck on Q.10 in VR. He knew how to answer the question, but was getting really confused by the available options. I appreciate that steps have been taken to allow for the error, but my concern is that it seriously affected his confidence and impacted on his performance in the rest of the paper.
Etienne
KS13

Post by KS13 »

I can’t thank you enough Etienne for your your support.
Thank you so much for sweet response about his performance report.We are really proud on him.I have got so many times positive feedbacks from other parents about he supports kids in challenging ,even in kind of bullying situations and I get tearful .He is very sensitive child about himself and others.
I understand in writing and reading his predicted score comes in 100-110 ,in Pira exam in May/June 2019 he scored 113 which was above this range and he really worked hard during summer holidays and practiced lots of related practice papers and most of the time he was scoring above 80% ,I really don’t want to exaggerate but he was scoring 95% in many as well when he was really into it.By Reading other tips in forum,I understand I should not attach practice papers done at home,Please could you suggest what related evidence I could show.coild it be the reason he scored less in VR bcz of theexam paper error affect.
I didnot understand what is GPS score(44/50) in May /June bcz this was above this recommended range as well.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

KS13 wrote: I understand in writing and reading his predicted score comes in 100-110
I'll try to explain. This was a scaled score, and the maximum is 120.
in Pira exam in May/June 2019 he scored 113
Unfortunately you're not comparing like with like. The range of scores for PIRA is different. It's a standardised score (a bit like the 11+ where, as we know, you need at least 121).
Please could you suggest what related evidence I could show.
You've done everything possible. I don't think there's anything more you could do. :)
I did not understand what is GPS score(44/50) in May /June bcz this was above this recommended range as well.
If a raw score of 44 is converted to a scaled score, it comes out as 103.
Scroll down to the last table:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tables.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
KS13

Post by KS13 »

I could see lots of info about filling Appeal forms but not much about Selection Review form.
I received form from head teacher which is double sided A4 .Please suggest how long I should write in step -4 (Q-Tell us what grounds you have for asking for a selection review).I understand I can attach extra sheet.

I would also like to mention about personal reasons which i mentioned before ,as i really need extra advise on everything -do not want to do something wrong to affect my child future.

We (Parents) were having personal disputes from past 6-7 months and was planning to get separation. However we did delay our decision as X was preparing 11 plus and for sure, separation was going to affect him enormously.He is attached to both of us.

We didnot let X know anything about this till we had big arguments on 8th sep(Sunday) and X heard all this and was very disturbed. X was getting up in the night asking related questions and also had bit of cold in the morning.He got ready in the morning and stated he is feeling cold and didn't look right to me.I realised I need to spend sometime with him and clear his anxieties and I took emergency carer leave and also informed school that X not well to come(stated he got cold which he was feeling)

I did mention this to headteacher in meeting and she has written in her statement that parents informed her that they were going through separation issues and x came to know about that on 8th sept. She clearly stated she was not aware about this pre-exam-which we did not inform ,again due to personal reasons.

she also sent attendance sheet where it says -absent due to cold.

The day x came after test ,He did say that I was keep thinking about this(as he heard us saying 11 plus is nearly done and what shall we do) and I thought judge will ask me with whom he wants to stay and he cannot answer as he love us both(I really don't know from where he thought about judge issues which we never mentioned in front of him )I cant tell you how heartbroken it was for us to hear this from him.
On the positive note-the affect we noted on son ,we both parents have changed a lot now and giving him more time and so far are together.We booked our family holiday after long time this half term .

I do have evidence from my employer about this issues as these were discussed with them at frequent times and my working hours were also made flexible.

I know its too much to read for you but honesty I am so disturbed and anxious and just want to do right for my son.
we are away from 29th oct till 6th nov and it need to send this by 8th and I am thinking to complete and send by 28th before flying on 29th.

Will sending early will make any difference ?

Thank you so much for your time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

KS13 wrote:I could see lots of info about filling Appeal forms but not much about Selection Review form.
E32c "Grounds for a review" tells you the sort of thing you might write for Step 4:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I received form from head teacher which is double sided A4 .Please suggest how long I should write in step -4 (Q-Tell us what grounds you have for asking for a selection review).I understand I can attach extra sheet.
I would advise no more than one side of A4. Less if possible.

Parents tend to write too much! Nothing you write is likely to make much difference. What matters is the evidence (e.g. what the headteacher has written).
I would also like to mention about personal reasons ..... She clearly stated she was not aware about this pre-exam-which we did not inform ,again due to personal reasons.
I suggest you mention:
I was very upset at the time. It was a very private matter which I did not feel able to discuss with the school.
I do have evidence from my employer about this issues as these were discussed with them at frequent times and my working hours were also made flexible.
Attach the evidence from your employer.
Will sending early will make any difference ?
None at all.
Thank you so much for your time.
You're most welcome! :)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now