Common Entrance preparation DIY

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
computer123

Common Entrance preparation DIY

Post by computer123 »

Can a child year 7/8 in a state school prepare for Common Entrance exam at home; using text books, tutors etc? Is it possible?
mad?

Re: Common Entrance preparation DIY

Post by mad? »

Yes, but it would be a huge amount of extra work to cover the extra subjects and material.
mad?
Nella

Post by Nella »

I had read the common entrance exam will be phased out over the next 18 months. Would check before starting work for it!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

computer123 wrote:Can a child year 7/8 in a state school prepare for Common Entrance exam at home; using text books, tutors etc? Is it possible?
This was discussed here
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 22#p723022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
computer123

Post by computer123 »

it is used for setting purposes (Year 8 ) in one of the schools when going 13+ entry
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If a school/tutor/parent can teach it then a student can learn it.

There is no magic about the Common Entrance Exam although of course the 13 plus prep schoosl would like you to think that only they hold the key to gaining a place at 13 plus.

In Herts and North London entrance at 13 plus for girls has all but disappeared. St Albans, Habs, and NLCS do not do it but Haileybury still do.

The Perse Cambridge is the only other school I know of still offering 13 plus places for girls.

Perhaps others can update me on 13 plus schools for girls.

I know the boarding schools such as Wycombe Abbey and Downe House offer it.

In Essex Bancrofts announced this year that they had filled all their spaces at 11 plus and would not be offering any at 13 plus.

For boys St Albans and Habs used to give a figure for 13 plus entry on their websites. Noth schools have now removed that figure.

This is so they can take on as many at 11 plus as possible.

Why would they save spaces for 13 plus if they can get two more years of fees by filling their spaces at 11 plus?

Also the new 9-1 GCSEs are much harder and so many schools are starting them in Y9.

This does not give 13 plus entrants any chance to try out new subjects before having to choose them.

This year over half the Y6 boys at Lochinver 13 plus Prep in Potters Bar sat for the 11 plus state schools in September and there will be another group who did not do well in the state 11 plus who will sit schools such as MT, Habs, Highgate and St Albans in January.

Did some of these parents choose a 13 plus prep school and then change their mind?

Nella where did you read that the Common Entrance exam would be phased out over the next 18 months?

DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Nella where did you read that the Common Entrance exam would be phased out over the next 18 months?
It was widely reported in the press a few weeks ago. Whether it actually happens is another matter, of course!
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks.

I completely missed that.

What did they say would replace it? DG
doodles

Post by doodles »

As.scary mum saiid it was widely covered in the press and the report I read was talking about a prep school "bacalaureate" style test.

I do know friends who have children who have sat alternatives to the CE for a couple of years now.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
computer123

Post by computer123 »

MT need Common Entrance exam for setting purposes. In our area there are no grammar schools, so MT is one of our limited options...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now