Can’t decide which school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jam2019

Can’t decide which school

Post by Jam2019 »

Hi, I know this is a luxury position to be in but we need some help! My son passed the 11+ (we live very near Aylesbury so have choice of SHF or AGS) and initially we all thought that he should go to SHF. He’s quite an all rounded kid, and enjoys sport and music equally. He says his favourite school subject is science. He’s a sensitive and very kind boy who is happy to get stuck into anything and is friends with everyone. His worst school trait is that he talks a lot and gets distracted easily. He worked hard for the 11+, encouraged at first but very independently towards the end and was self motivated.

We toured both schools, last year and this year, and came away preferring AGS rather than SHF, one of the main things that bothered me about SHF is that the heads presentation was very much focussed on ofsted comments and results, whereas at AGS the head was talking more about pastoral care.

If you have any experiences of either school to help us decide I would be very grateful!

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Can’t decide which school

Post by scary mum »

I don't know the schools I'm afraid, but if you like both you can't really go wrong. What about other factors? Mixed, single sex? Ease of journey?
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I haven't experience of the schools but you could turn it round and see if you can tell which school you would be most disappointed NOT to get a place at.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Hi, my elder son went to shfgs (10 years ago though) and younger ones are currently at ags.
We went to the open evening at both schools again last year.
They are both good schools but I would choose AGS now out of the two. It's quite traditional (which I like), the teachers are excellent and the boys are happy.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm not from your area and have no inside knowledge but - is it possible that the head teachers were responding to previous questioning/criticism?
For example if School A has always had slightly worse results but been feted for its pastoral care, the head might focus on the fact that actually their results are great.
And if School B has historically been thought to focus on results at the expense of pastoral care, the head might want to focus on the opposite.
Just a thought...
Jam2019

Post by Jam2019 »

loobylou wrote:I'm not from your area and have no inside knowledge but - is it possible that the head teachers were responding to previous questioning/criticism?
For example if School A has always had slightly worse results but been feted for its pastoral care, the head might focus on the fact that actually their results are great.
And if School B has historically been thought to focus on results at the expense of pastoral care, the head might want to focus on the opposite.
Just a thought...

Yes I had thought of this too but it’s very difficult to go on anything but face value when you don’t know from experience. If anyone has experience of the schools practising what they preach then that would be helpful.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

The head at shfgs has changed since my eldest child went there. The previous head was very keen on a high level of pastoral care. When we went to the 2018 open evening the head's presentation was all about Ofsted. At parents evenings at our current school (AGS) yes, they discuss academic progress but they are very concerned with how children are settling in, enjoying school, happy, doing extra curricular activities etc.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

I can only comment on SHFGS as have daughters! My eldest is now in Year 13. Academically and results wise I would say they are on a par. The pastoral care at SHF is extremely good and in the last couple of years they have been brilliant with my dd.

It’s a nice situation to be in. They are both very good schools. Good luck!
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I have a son at AGS and a daughter at SHFGS. Pastoral care is significantly better at Floyd and caters more for individuals. You say your son is sensitive so personally I would side with Floyd.

My son is happy at AGS but they do tend to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut over behaviour. We also chose it for its traditional feel and the sport. My son is no angel so thought it would be better for him. Based on what I know now of both schools i may have made a different choice back then.

That said I know most are very happy with AGS and it is a very personal choice.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote: they do tend to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut over behaviour.
??!!
I've never heard of any type of bad behaviour at AGS.
On the other hand, the school bus we use is for AGS, ahs and Floyd. It's always the Floyd pupils who are badly behaved. Just an observation!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now