What is the pass mark?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Leydon

What is the pass mark?

Post by Leydon »

Please help....................

What is the pass mark for Mathematics, Verbal and non-verbal in the Trafford area? We are practicing with nferNelson papers.

Many thanks.
andyb

Post by andyb »

You are more likely to get a meaningful reply if you post in the Trafford forum.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

It depends on which school you are applying for.

Historically, Alty Girls and Boys have had a collective pass mark of 334 and the 11+ pass mark has been 353 (or very close to that). This year, with Urmston and Stretford setting their own exams for the first time (instead of being part of the 11+) and only Sale's exam being administered by Trafford, presumably those three schools may well have different pass marks. I don't know what the pass mark usually is for Loreto or Ambrose.

The score is calculated by adding together the standardised scores (out of 141 for each subject) for all three papers.
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Hi Leydon,
if you are looking for a mark in percentage terms I tend to look for about 80% or over as an idication that they are working at about the right level. My DD who took the exam in 2006 was working at about that level or a bit higher and passed both Alty Girlks and the 11+ comfortably.
I hope this helps
Dougal
lhermann

Percentage marks

Post by lhermann »

Dougal,
You said 'over 80% is an indication that they are doing OK. If they are just going for Sale or just Altrincham, would the percentage be any different?
ConcernedMum

Confused now about Altrincham Boys

Post by ConcernedMum »

We have had a letter saying
1. your son has passed (350ish when the pass mark was 334)
2. this doesn't guarantee you a place but last year we accepted everyone in the 'catchment area' and everyone scoring 348 or more outside the area.

We are in the 'catchment area' - in practice, can I now put AGS top on his registration form and stop worrying?
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Yes! Alty Boys has a nice tight catchment area defined so if you are in WA14, WA15 and those bits of M33 specified then you'll be fine. Congratulations.
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

Thanks! It's a bit odd isn't it - the congratulations ought to be for my son not me but he isn't the slightest bit bothered as long as a few others from the class football team are going to the same school (which they are!) whereas I haven't slept for weeks!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

You don't need to tell me about the sleepless nights!

I noticed yesterday that the boys' reaction to their results were very much more low key than the girls' reaction had been the previous week. Just a bit of nonchalant shrugging from the boys as opposed to the squeals and hugs from the girls. It's probably not cool to be seen to care.
Zed 1

Alty Boys Results

Post by Zed 1 »

I know the score is higher to offer places for 'out of catchment area' boys.
The letter we got said last year a score of 348 was required by out of area boys and in 2007 a score of 337 was enough...so it seems to be getting higher.

Does anyone know if we should be confident with a score of 374? We are obviously out of the area.