Maidenhead to Burnham and Marlow Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dee603

Maidenhead to Burnham and Marlow Grammar Schools

Post by dee603 »

Hi

We live in Maidenhead and my DS has passed Bucks 11+ exams.

We are in the process of applying to Bucks Grammar schools and would like to know if there are any bus services (private or public) to Burnham Grammar School or William Borlase School in Marlow?

Alternately, if there are children that travel this route, any route info or parent groups that could help would be appreciated.

This is considering either schools will provide places outside catchment (the have done so in the past).

We are aware of services to JHGS.
scary mum

Re: Maidenhead to Burnham and Marlow Grammar Schools

Post by scary mum »

It is 6 minutes on the train from Maidenhead to Burnham Grammar. I believe people also go by public bus as well, depending on where they live. The school may know of private buses, there won't be a school one as you aren't in Buckinghamshire. There are lots of students from Maidenhead at Burnham, but last year you wouldn't have got in, I don't think (that may change this year, of course).
I don't think you would get in to SWBGS from Maidenhead (last year the distance was under two miles within catchment).
For Burnham it was a sdden change last year & I understand the head thinks this may reverse. For SWBGS this has been the trend for a few years.
scary mum
IncyWincy

Post by IncyWincy »

There is a school bus (details on the paid for school transport section of the Bucks CC website) which runs along the A4, up Ray Park Avenue, past Cookham through Bourne End to SWBGS. Numbers are small and it costs about £1500 a year (train only around £400 for the season pass).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

IncyWincy wrote:There is a school bus (details on the paid for school transport section of the Bucks CC website) which runs along the A4, up Ray Park Avenue, past Cookham through Bourne End to SWBGS. Numbers are small and it costs about £1500 a year (train only around £400 for the season pass).
Assuming that it's not a three mile walk from the station to the school at the Burrnham end, why on earth would anyone within reasonable walking distance of Maidenhead station contemplate paying nearly four time as much for a slower and less flexible mode of transport?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are two schools being discussed here, TM. maidenhead to Burnham is a 6 minute train journey with a 15 minute walk from the station to the school. I think the bus mentioned was to SWBGS. although the same comment holds for bus vs train.
scary mum
dee603

Post by dee603 »

Thanks for your replies.

SWBGS is complicated - train to/from Maidenhead to Bourne End -> change to reach Marlow station -> 15 min walk to school.
There is no direct or easier route.

Trend has been no/low numbers from Maidenhead as mentioned though part of Maidenhead is in it's catchment so seems enticing.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

The train from Maidenhead to Marlow is the easiest journey ever! Loads of children do it daily!

Regarding the intake for September as you must know PAN has increased to 150 but there have been some small changes to catchment and the introduction of a priority area (not Maidenhead). The last year which went out of catchment was the current year 11, with last year allocating to 1.79 miles. That said I think it’s not unreasonable to think that all of catchment will be offered. Are you in catchment? I guess that’s the key thing.

Bucks CC also have a school bus from Maidenhead although it is v v expensive for out of county and you have no guarantee of a place.