burnham grammar school - OOC (7.9 Miles)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
acool

burnham grammar school - OOC (7.9 Miles)

Post by acool »

Hi,

My DD passed Bucks exam with good score and we are considering BGS as one of our three option, can someone help me possibility offering place a this school any round? Does distance goes that far in further rounds after 1st Mar?

Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Re: burnham grammar school - OOC (7.9 Miles)

Post by scary mum »

As you probably know, the score above 121 is irrelevant in Bucks, it makes no difference to whether your DS would get in or not. Last year the distance did not increase very much in the second round (from 3.043 miles OOC to 3.242 miles OOC in April). I imagine it increased a little after that.
Last year was an unusual year and many people who could have reasonably expected to get places didn't. I'm not sure why this was but I understand that at the recent open evening the head said that it was due to particular circumstances with two other schools (maybe changes to the Slough schools criteria? I don't know it's just a guess), and that he expected the distances to return to similar distances as before (bear in mind that last year he said that children from Langley were sure to get in - they didn't).
If it is your first choice, put it first, and you might get it. If you don't your second choice becomes your first & you can go on the waiting list for BGS. Just make sure you have something on there that you are sure of getting.

ETA: I've just looked at some of your other posts, and it looks as though you are using a bit of a scattergun approach, which is tricky with only 3 choices. You have also said in the past that you are in Bracknell - I would have thought that this would be more than 7.9 miles to BGS? Happy to be proved wrong, but it looks much further than that to me. Do you mean you are 7.9 miles from the edge of the catchment? The distances are measured from the school. Do you know how your DD would get there?
scary mum
acool

Post by acool »

I am putting this as a backup option, but I don't want to waste the option if the chances are next to impossible. My login was there are few places remains vacant in Buckinghamshire grammar schools so they may consider the application from OOC not very sure -

Last year 2019

Beaconsfield High School - 2 places remains vacant
John Hampden Grammar School - 1 place remains vacant
The Royal Grammar School - 1 place remains vacant

I am not sure about it.
acool

Post by acool »

I checked with postcode of school and my house - it's 7.9 miles (I understand that it's not accurate point to to point but will give me some idea)

You are right - My first two options are firm and I am not changing these two options (Kendrick and Upton Court) - I am very much struggling for third option. Unfortunately we have only three options and it's very difficult to cover all risks within three options. I am trying to avoid a situation where none of three options are offered.

so the struggle to evaluate the third option.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

acool wrote:I am putting this as a backup option, but I don't want to waste the option if the chances are next to impossible. My login was there are few places remains vacant in Buckinghamshire grammar schools so they may consider the application from OOC not very sure -

Last year 2019

Beaconsfield High School - 2 places remains vacant
John Hampden Grammar School - 1 place remains vacant
The Royal Grammar School - 1 place remains vacant

I am not sure about it.
Do you have one on your list of three that you are sure of getting? If you get none on your list, the local authority will assign your DD a school which has vacancies, which could be somewhere undesirable.
Any vacancies in the current year 7 will probably be filled from waiting lists or in year transfers. I can be quite certain your DD woudn't get a place at RGS or JHGS :D
Some places always come up because people realise that the journey is impossible to maintain for 7 years.
No-one can tell you if your DD will get a place at BGS, I'm afraid.
scary mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

acool wrote:I checked with postcode of school and my house - it's 7.9 miles (I understand that it's not accurate point to to point but will give me some idea)

You are right - My first two options are firm and I am not changing these two options (Kendrick and Upton Court) - I am very much struggling for third option. Unfortunately we have only three options and it's very difficult to cover all risks within three options. I am trying to avoid a situation where none of three options are offered.

so the struggle to evaluate the third option.
You should put a local school that you would be happy for your daughter to attend as your third option.
scary mum
acool

Post by acool »

ok thanks for your suggestion.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

I though you were going for Nonsuch or Wallington?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

As I’ve said to you before, I know your local schools aren’t your top choices, but unless you are sure you will get your first or second choice, you really do need a school in the list you know you will get. Otherwise you could get a school you really really don’t.
acool

Post by acool »

I thought a lot about it initially but again (it's not very certain either) - and very frankly still not sure (I am not able to make mind for third option)

My third option - Nonsuch / Wallington OR Buckinghamshire

But now started thinking about local school (Having only three options are very difficult situation) - I don't know that's why I am seeking some kind of indication on each group so that I can swap with more certain.

Now - after this discussion I feel that I should swap BGS with Herschel which looks more certain with 125 score (outside of 4 miles)

Help - with any other suggestion