STR thoughts

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KatieT

STR thoughts

Post by KatieT »

What are children's/parent's experiences of STR? We don't know anyone who has been or is going there. In fact we are completely new to everything grammar. The results look great and the travel is reasonable from where we are. My DS went to the Marling Open Evening two weeks ago and really connected with it. We did not get to the proper STR open day pre-results day - just the post-results open sessions which we found rather underwhelming.

We like the idea of DS not having to travel so far in the mornings and evenings and having more time for homework/down time. But I am resisting submitting the CAF for STR and need some reassurance this school is as good across the board as everyone says it is.

DS is extremely quiet, excels at maths/science and naturally focused and disciplined. Enjoys sport but not sporty. Qualified for STR, Marling and Crypt.

Would love to hear other more knowledgeable people's opinions before I finally hit 'submit application'.
Glos18

Re: STR thoughts

Post by Glos18 »

We had similar misgivings. After the open days, DS had his heart set on STR, but DH preferred Crypt, and I preferred Marling. The STR open evening felt v stiff and formal. The headmaster's talk was all about academic grades, whereas the other schools were more well rounded, talking about exciting opportunities to build racing cars etc. However, the choice was down to DS, and STR was the best for transport anyway.
Everyone we talk to who have had sons at STR are v positive about it. We are a half term in and DS is thriving. Enjoying classes, no social/ bullying concerns. There has been lots of work with transition, and his class appear to have bonded well. From your description of your DS, I think he would fit in well. However, if his heart is set on Marling, it will be a tricky decision.
jearund

Re: STR thoughts

Post by jearund »

Hi KatieT,

If you look further down you'll see I started a similar thread (Tommies or Crypt) a couple of weeks ago, as I was having the same dilemma. My DS is also very shy, loves maths and science and is good at concentrating. We liked the feel of Crypt but he preferred the more focused feel of STR, where he thought the boys looked more like they were paying attention! We always said we would go with his choice so that's what we've picked. We are hoping that he will like the academic focus as he is academically competitive and likes to know exactly what is expected of him. I had a lot of positive replies to my own thread about STR - anyone with a child at the school speaks highly of it.
But I agree if your son prefers Marling that's more difficult. We chose not to visit Marling because it would have been difficult for transport so I can't comment on it.
Good luck with your decision!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now