Pupil premium - no haters pls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
space

Pupil premium - no haters pls

Post by space »

I was entitled to pp in 2016 after divorce and child was in Y2. For 9 months I was not aware I could have applied for it. Now child has got a pass mark for a local grammar but not the priority score. It was the school's fault not to have registered me and my children as pupil premium? I still have all the income support paperwork regarding that period. Wonder if it is worth fighting for a pp appeal or if anyone can shed a light or have been through something similar. I did not tick the PP in the grammar application. Any positive + informative comments welcome.
Brackenboo

Re: Pupil premium - no haters pls

Post by Brackenboo »

Hi,

This is the information on the Ribston site:

Pupil Premium ~ The information below was in the Registration process in June.
Section 8. Pupil Premium and Service Pupil Premium

Pupil Premium

You must provide written evidence to your allocated Test Centre before your child sits the Entrance Test.

If you live outside of Gloucestershire you will need to request written evidence from your Home Local Authority and ask them to send the evidence to your allocated Test Centre. The onus is on the Parent / Carer to ensure that the evidence is provided.

Unfortunately the onus was on you to have provided this information before the test was taken and I'm not sure that anything can be done now. Also as far as I know it is down to you to register yourself, rather than the school having the responsibility. Have you registered now so you are entitled to pupil premium?
space

Post by space »

Thank you for replying. So, there is sth called Ever 6, which can grant a child to get PP after 6 years since they had been on income support. I was not entitled to it form 2017 onwards I was working.
So I did not tick the pp ever 6. But, reading about it now, and, by a matter of chance being on a full time teaching course and trying to apply again, school is going round in circles in actually adding me to their pupil premium.
Although I have all the documentation and showed them that I have no income.

This made me puzzle the application system. Me applying now will not change his application.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Where do you actually live, Birmingham or Gloucestershire?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Which area are you applying for Gloucester or Birmingham?
space

Post by space »

child got a good score ranking for grammars in gloucestershire as we lived there before divorce in 2015.
So I tried there too.
Would like people from both areas to give me feedback on this. If possible.
I live in Birmingham and we are in the catchment for five ways but pass - no priority score.
I wonder if I should try and appeal for a place here, rather then allocate back to Gloucester in 2020, it would be a lot of hassle as a single parent so would like to check what people have experienced.
child scores was 464 for crypt and 273 for STRS, so he might not need pp for Gloucester. in case he does, i would like to hear from other people with similar experiences.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

So it was a B'ham primary then. I seem to recall that there are problems if people don't tick the box at the time of the application - not sure that it is so easy to get it reinstated, particularly if the primary school had not got the child recorded as being eligible for FSM etc . TBH your best best might be to speak to the LEA fairly urgently re this as today is the CAF deadline. Having said that you could put FW first and then Gloucs schools if that is what you want
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

space wrote:child got a good score ranking for grammars in gloucestershire as we lived there before divorce in 2015.
So I tried there too.
Would like people from both areas to give me feedback on this. If possible.
I live in Birmingham and we are in the catchment for five ways but pass - no priority score.
I wonder if I should try and appeal for a place here, rather then allocate back to Gloucester in 2020, it would be a lot of hassle as a single parent so would like to check what people have experienced.
child scores was 464 for crypt and 273 for STRS, so he might not need pp for Gloucester. in case he does, i would like to hear from other people with similar experiences.
It sounds like Crypt may be your best bet?

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=59171

But only you can decide whether uprooting yourself and your DC and moving to Gloucester next summer is really a better thing to do that staying put and sending him to whichever non-selective sxhool he will qualify for in Birmingham. Where are you based yourself, for your course?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
space

Post by space »

Course is in UOB so one year PGCE, dont know about NQT prospects in Gloucestershire while in Birmingham options are abundant. I dont think its clever of me to send child to a local comprehensive if he could have gone to Crypt (as he scores suggests) but also regarding jobs opportunites for myself, rellocating to Glos and havent not even appeal for a place here in using the PP I didnt know I should have applied.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I think the pupil premium option has sailed, so it would be whether you wanted to make a normal appeal for a Birmingham school, chose one of the gloucestershire ones and relocate. Have you visited either of the schools? I can't speak for the local comps in Birmingham, but I know many of the other gloucestershire ones have lots of children who also do very well, some who have turned down grammar school places etc. So it's a case of considering the financial and emotional cost to you both of moving to a new location and whether that is worth it. I know you mentioned you previously lived in Gloucestershire, so not sure whether you have family etc around you here?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now