Children at St Bernanrd's School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Infoseeker2019

Children at St Bernanrd's School

Post by Infoseeker2019 »

Anyone with child at St. Bernard's Grammar School in Slough? Thinking of applying for my son, so looking for some information.
mad?

Re: Children at St Bernanrd's School

Post by mad? »

I'm afraid I have not experience of this school but if you search the forum for it as a thread subject I am sure there have been previous positive reviews. Of course there is a religious criterion, which precludes most people and might put off or particularly attract others.
mad?
Infoseeker2019

Post by Infoseeker2019 »

Thanks Mad?

My son is likely to get in the school under "all students" category even though we do not fit religion criteria. I was mainly interested in how diverse the school and its policies are. We visited the school on the open day and they were very accommodating. They also shared lots of stats about diversity in the school but I wanted to get some first hand experience.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Last year was the first year in a while that the ‘all other students’ ie ones not covered under faith categories, got places.

Whilst it could be the start of a trend it also might just be a blip. It may or may not happen again this year.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Chatting with my DC (one is in year 10 and the other is in year 8 ) - the children are mainly Christian but not all of them. The staff are also a mixture of faiths and are welcomed by the head (I'm sure I read something in one of the weekly newsletter about the diversity of faith at the school).

The children/ staff come from different countries, so in that respect it is quite diverse.

Good luck - we like the school a lot, the "new" head is still bringing in some changes (like wifi in the school, using technology more in lessons, involving the kids a lot more (one of the changes the students suggested was trousers for the girls, which my dd does appreciate)) whilst keeping some of the school traditions including Guardian Angel's Day. [This is the start of his 3rd year so not exactly new any more].
Infoseeker2019

Post by Infoseeker2019 »

Thank you Tinkers and hel_tcw