Kent test fail help!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Loosemummy

Kent test fail help!

Post by Loosemummy »

Hello,
I’ve been around for a while and used this site to help me a lot with my 2 eldest sons who are now happily at MGS. My youngest has unfortunately failed the 11+ and I’m in a bit of a panic as to what to do as I really think she would do great at grammar school.
Her scores were:

Maths 109
English 102
Reasoning 127
Total 338

Very shocked about the English result as very unlike her. She was put forward for headteacher’s appeal but unfortunately didn’t get through ( will that go against us?)
Headteacher has said she is very happy to support an appeal.

We really want to try and get her into Invicta so have put that down at the top of her preferences on the Caf form- is that the right thing to do?

I have read lots of the links on here and everything has been very helpful ( and a bit scary!) just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice for our situation with Maidstone Grammar schools / And if her scores are too low to appeal?

Thanks so much,

Emilie
hermanmunster

Re: Kent test fail help!

Post by hermanmunster »

Putting the school you want at the top of the CAF is the right thing to do - you can only appeal when you are application for a place there is declined.
Loosemummy

Post by Loosemummy »

hermanmunster wrote:Putting the school you want at the top of the CAF is the right thing to do - you can only appeal when you are application for a place there is declined.
Thanks so much, I’ve heard so many contradictory pieces of advice and I’m anxious to get it right as the deadline for the CAF is today.
Does anyone know if the appeal panel will know if I have requested to appeal for another school too? And will they know the order of my CAF?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Loosemummy wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Putting the school you want at the top of the CAF is the right thing to do - you can only appeal when you are application for a place there is declined.
Thanks so much, I’ve heard so many contradictory pieces of advice and I’m anxious to get it right as the deadline for the CAF is today.
Does anyone know if the appeal panel will know if I have requested to appeal for another school too? And will they know the order of my CAF?
I don't know about Kent, but in Essex, the answers to those would be 'No' and 'Yes', respectively - the latter because seeing the way that you completed your CAF is the easiest way of trying to work out whether any mistakes appear to have been made in the way that an application was handled.

On the first, it would be possible for an individual IAP member to know, because they had also sat on the panel for another school, but that is not relevant, because each appeal is only for the one individual school, so that is what the panel is looking at today, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Does anyone know if the appeal panel will know if I have requested to appeal for another school too?
Unlikely, but they might ask you at the hearing. (I would prefer that they didn't.)
And will they know the order of my CAF?
See the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And if her scores are too low to appeal?
What matters is the strength of your alternative academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also need good reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last but not least it depends on:
  • How strong a case the admission authority puts forward to resist further admissions.
  • (Probably) how strong a case any other appellants may have.
  • How strict the appeal panel is in exercising its judgement.
Etienne
salsa

Post by salsa »

@Loosemummy,
From my experience, in Kent, they don't know about the order in your CAF and neither about other appeals. I did have someone asking indirectly, but I took no notice!

Good luck,

Salsa