Grammar - Additional Maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mm23292

Grammar - Additional Maths

Post by mm23292 »

Looking at girls grammars; I can only find one that offers Additional Maths at GCSE. Is that typical, or is this a relatively new course? Would you recommend if wanting to continue Maths at A level?
Thank you!
ToadMum

Re: Grammar - Additional Maths

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area, but DS2's grammar school does (AQA?) Further Maths, not Additional Maths. He is doing Maths A level - without FM - but tbh, he hasn't mentioned whether doing FM GCSE has been any particular help. It certainly isn't a requirement (Nor, obviously, is Add. Maths, since the school doesn't offer it).

Is it specifically Additional Maths you are looking for? I'd be surprised if any grammar school wasn't offering either FM or Add. Maths.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Kendrick don’t offer additional maths GCSE. However it’s their most popular A level subject by a long way.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The Add Maths that DS2 did with his GCSEs was AS level, rather than GCSE, and, I believe is a new qualification (might be 2 or 3 years old) - it is a letter grade, not a number. He is doing A level Maths and his teacher was disappointed that he didn’t also want to do FM (but he doesn’t need 4 A levels). Only the top set were entered for Add Maths and they were not taught it.

Doing or not doing FM or Add Maths at GCSE doesn’t preclude or affect A level.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

On the Wycombe High 2019 curriculum it says they sit both GCSE and an Additional maths paper, which is supposedly good for bridging the gap between gcse & A level.
Can’t see any reference to Additional maths at Becky High or Challoners, so thought it might be a new course.
IncyWincy

Post by IncyWincy »

Not girls only, but Borlase does Additional Maths FSMQ with the top maths set and further maths with the second set. My understanding is that those that did Additional maths are then grouped together at A-level (doing further maths as well, with less lesson time than doing two individual A-Levels as the Additional maths covered some of the Maths A-Level material).
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It’s been dropped at our local grammars because of the increased content in the new GCSEs.
They do bridging work between year 11 and 12.
My DD will be doing maths and FM A level and we have been told as long as they are prepared to do some work in the summer of year 11 it’s not a problem.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thanks everyone. Having caught my eye at the 11th hour, I was almost swayed! I took O Level maths in the early 80s, and had to sit an AO maths paper before we could continue with the A level, so I did wonder whether the new Additional maths course might have been a necessary boost. However it seems the GCSE syllabus is more comprehensive now, so a high grade on this, should be more than enough to continue.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I taught gcse maths years ago (to adults, not at a school) and my DD did the new GCSE, so I’ve seen that too. Yes, it is a much better preparation for A level now I think.

I also did O Level maths, followed by A level maths and FM. No additional maths though.

I didn’t have any issues then, and DD certainly hasn’t had issues now. She was expecting a big step up to A level but it hasn’t been anywhere as much as she thought.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

IncyWincy wrote:Not girls only, but Borlase does Additional Maths FSMQ with the top maths set and further maths with the second set. My understanding is that those that did Additional maths are then grouped together at A-level (doing further maths as well, with less lesson time than doing two individual A-Levels as the Additional maths covered some of the Maths A-Level material).
Maths and Further Maths are viewed as 1 A level by Borlase. They get 1.5 x normal lesson time. There are 2 Maths classes which are doing Further Maths with the rest just doing A level. Taking Ad Maths or Further Maths in year 11 has no bearing on whether you can do Further Maths A level it’s just down to GCSE grade and what the students choose to do. Many drop Further Maths at the end of year 12.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now