Bucks Selection review-120

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

devdha

Bucks Selection review-120

Post by devdha »

Hi,

My daughter got 120 score in Bucks exam and she missed cutoff by 0.75. We decided to go for a review on below points.

1. Her academics - Head teacher gave 2:2 rating in her recommendation. She received Governor award in Year 4 for her Maths
2. She was not well for that whole week. Informed to school about that and school has provided the letter stating the reason for her absence.
3. I have serious health issues this year and whole family was upset with my health condition. Since my daughter is very close to me she always think about my health.

Please suggest the documentation i need to include on above points.

One query on residence requirement - We are currently out of catchment and thought of moving to Bucks area after she received her result. Unfortunately she got 120 score. Since we don't know the review outcome decided to stay in current place so that i will help my treatment. What are the chances to get a place if the review is success?

Regards,
Dev.
scary mum

Re: Bucks Selection review-120

Post by scary mum »

devdha wrote:Hi,

My daughter got 120 score in Bucks exam and she missed cutoff by 0.75. We decided to go for a review on below points.

1. Her academics - Head teacher gave 2:2 rating in her recommendation. She received Governor award in Year 4 for her Maths
2. She was not well for that whole week. Informed to school about that and school has provided the letter stating the reason for her absence.
3. I have serious health issues this year and whole family was upset with my health condition. Since my daughter is very close to me she always think about my health.

One query on residence requirement - We are currently out of catchment and thought of moving to Bucks area after she received her result. Unfortunately she got 120 score. Since we don't know the review outcome decided to stay in current place so that i will help my treatment. What are the chances to get a place if the review is success?

Regards,
Dev.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Someone will be along to advise on the review questions, I'm sure.

First of all, where do you live and what schools have you put on the CAF? You don't need to say exactly where you are, but knowing the straight line distance from the schools would be a help.
scary mum
devdha

Post by devdha »

Thanks for your support.
We are in Tilehurst and in CAF we added first preference as High wycombe and next one is Amersham school.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

You are over 16 miles to Wycombe High School, which last year offered to 7.4 miles.

You are over 23 miles to DCHS (I assume this is the one you mean) which last year offered to 2 miles.
Last edited by streathammum on Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you have absolutely no hope of either of these schools (or any others in Buckinghamshire). Last year's distances:
WHS: March 1st 7.406 miles, April 7.731 miles
DCHS: March 1st 1.963, April 2.291 miles
These are the questions you should ask before sitting the exam, let alone applying for the schools.
scary mum
devdha

Post by devdha »

We are ready to move immediately based on review outcome. Still they don't consider?

I have an email from council that no need to be in catchment for review.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

What exactly does the email from the council say?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have an email from council that no need to be in catchment for review.
Agreed.
Please look at the sticky at the top of the Bucks section:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=59315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See point 10.
Etienne
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Just be aware that your current address would be used for the first round of allocations so you would have to hope for a place in April or later. I presume you haven't out down Upper Schools in Amersham or Wycombe, so you still run the risk of not getting a local school. What about a year 6 place for your daughter as well? She wouldn't be able to commute back to Tilehurst from Amersham.
I wish you well for the review, but please be aware of the difficulties of getting school places.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Was there a reason that you let your DD sit the exam when she wasn't well? Most areas now ask parents to confirm that their DC are fit to take the test on the day, or to defer to the reserve date if not. Doesn't Bucks do this?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx