Interview Prep New Hall Essex

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jstephens22

Interview Prep New Hall Essex

Post by jstephens22 »

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any idea/tips on how to prep for New Hall School Interview and Assessment Day? My son has his next week and we don't have a clue what to expect.

Worried as he is competing with New Hall Primary pupils and is coming from a local state primary. :(

Would appreciate any tips on how to prep for the 10 min presentation that they are expected to give on the day, also what to focus on for the English / Maths and Reasoning test.

Much appreciated in advance.

J
mad?

Re: Interview Prep

Post by mad? »

I assume this is for an Indie school so have moved your post to that section
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

New Hall is in Chelmsford, do a bit off the usual 'EPE Indies' track - the OP might get a better response in 'Essex'.

(Is that where they started off?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

ToadMum wrote:New Hall is in Chelmsford, do a bit off the usual 'EPE Indies' track - the OP might get a better response in 'Essex'.

(Is that where they started off?).
They started off in General 11+, OP am happy to move it to Essex for you if you prefer?
mad?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I’ve added a link from Essex to the thread.
KB

Re: Interview Prep New Hall Essex

Post by KB »

Hopefully someone with more recent experience will be along but in the meantime out of date might still be helpful!

Firstly, most schools recognise that state school primaries are a different experience to prep schools.
Some even make a specific effort to admit state school pupils.

The main preparation is to give him confidence to talk to unknown adults. Any less well known family friends who would be willing to help out if you give them some practice questions?

The staff will be aware of his age so they will be doing their best to make him feel comfortable and to get the best out of him.

Usual types of questions are about recent reading, something appropriate from current affairs, travel, hobbies. Its less about right and wrong answers and more about ability to think and express opinions.

I cant remember with New Hall but they might ask a science question - again its about how they approach it.

Don't be put off if children turn up with fancy portfolios etc. Decent staff are more than capable of sorting between the well coached and those with the potential to fit in to the school.
minipot

Post by minipot »

I believe the exam is not too dissimilar in format to the grammar school 11 plus CSSE papers although New Hall use the GL assessments scheme.

There will be maths, English comprehension and writing, VR and possibly non VR, then a 3 min presentation, followed by a 10 min Q and A session
Hope this helps.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hope you get the information you need, would just advise anyone in this situation to be wary of tutors contacting you via the forum, they may or may not have the relevant experience and will charge for practice and advice
AML

Post by AML »

Interviews are generally same format:

Talk about you, family, hobbies, your school.

Why you want to go to the school

Maybe some current affairs
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

When I went for mine way back in the early 90s it was:

Exam
Interview
Assemsnet on understanding of Catholic faith (failed thst epically as I'm not nor ever have been Catholic... Even asked them what they meant when they asked if I had been confirmed)

Can't remember which order it ran in but I remember the scary nun rolling her eyes at my violin playing.