Moving area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

minipot

Moving area

Post by minipot »

Hi there,
Wonder if anyone can help.

I'm having to move unexpectedly in mid November but have to submit school choices for my daughter based upon my current address. The address I'm moving to makes me in catchment for Moulsham school (I'm not at the moment) and this is a school which I'd like to put down second on my list of choices. First choice is cchs (we are currently in catchment anyway for this school but not sure she's done enough to get in).

So do I put the schools down in order of which we would like them regardless of our current address knowing we are moving, then submit the change of address as it happens. Or should I base school choices based on current address, wait til we move, contact school admissions of the move and then do I get to alter my choices?

Many thanks for any insight
pinkrabbit38

Re: Moving area

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

minipot wrote:Hi there,

I'm having to move unexpectedly in mid November but have to submit school choices for my daughter based upon my current address. The address I'm moving to makes me in catchment for Moulsham school (I'm not at the moment) and this is a school which I'd like to put down second on my list of choices. First choice is cchs (we are currently in catchment anyway for this school but not sure she's done enough to get in).

So do I put the schools down in order of which we would like them regardless of our current address knowing we are moving, then submit the change of address as it happens. Or should I base school choices based on current address, wait til we move, contact school admissions of the move and then do I get to alter my choices?

You need to check Moulsham’s admissions criteria, there’s not a catchment as such but 5th on the list is straight line distance to school. I know friends this year who didn’t get Moulsham despite living in ‘perceived’ catchment.
You need to put your schools down in true order of preference making sure in your case that if you don’t get CCHS or Moulsham you are happy with your 3rd/4th/5th/6th choices.
Tkegs

Post by Tkegs »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
minipot wrote:Hi there,

You need to check Moulsham’s admissions criteria, there’s not a catchment as such but 5th on the list is straight line distance to school. I know friends this year who didn’t get Moulsham despite living in ‘perceived’ catchment.
You need to put your schools down in true order of preference making sure in your case that if you don’t get CCHS or Moulsham you are happy with your 3rd/4th/5th/6th choices.

I looked at Moulsham with DS, it's our nailed on non-grammar option given we have a place on the music aptitude test result. It's correct to say there is no catchment per se. I spoke directly with the deputy head who informed me the last pupil admitted for 2019 was just under one mile from the school (without a sibling/MAT) - this has substantially reduced from around 2.4miles over the last 3/4 years.

Hope this helps.
minipot

Post by minipot »

Ooh thank you both very much, that's very useful indeed and actually probably pushes us out of the admission priority area for Moulsham.

So does anyone know whether school choices can be amended based on a change of address or should I list my preferred choices for Chelmsford schools even though I'm currently living outside of Chelmsford but very likely moving into Chelmsford in 2or 3 weeks....

Or do I put my choices down based upon local schools to my current address, and then will I have the option to change these choices once I have moved? Or should I just bite the bullet and opt for Chelmsford schools and cross fingers that house move doesn't fall through?

Thank you
Tkegs

Post by Tkegs »

minipot wrote:Ooh thank you both very much, that's very useful indeed and actually probably pushes us out of the admission priority area for Moulsham.

So does anyone know whether school choices can be amended based on a change of address or should I list my preferred choices for Chelmsford schools even though I'm currently living outside of Chelmsford but very likely moving into Chelmsford in 2or 3 weeks....

Or do I put my choices down based upon local schools to my current address, and then will I have the option to change these choices once I have moved? Or should I just bite the bullet and opt for Chelmsford schools and cross fingers that house move doesn't fall through?

Thank you
I think the important thing is you can evidence residency on the 29th November. Seems to me you use your current address and then contact the Essex Admissions office with proof of change of address by this date. See page 13, 2nd para. of the below for info.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/knkzaf64jx ... ochure.pdf

Also, if you change your submission after the 31st October I believe you are treated as ‘late’ and your preferences are effectively filled after everyone who submitted on time.
minipot

Post by minipot »

Thank you Tkegs
I've scoured that document but it doesn't say anything about having further choices if you move. Evidence needed... yes. I think I need to assume I won't be allowed to change my preferences once listed.

I may just email them and hopefully they will reply before Thursday.

Eek!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I would suggest that you head up your non-grammar entries with your preference(s) for when you have moved, followed by at least one which would be your preference based on your current address.

That way, it would go:

Scenario 1: Move goes ahead, do not get grammar school: Get one of the prefs based on new address, be on waiting list for grammar, no need for lower preference, current address places.
Scenario 2: Move delayed, do not get grammar school: do not get prefs based on intended address, but go on waiting list for grammar and 'intended address' schools, get pref named based on current address.

In Scenario 2, as soon as you do move and confirm your new address, you (theoretically) move further up the waiting list for any of your 'new address' prefs.

If you list your 'current address' prefs first, on March 2nd you may or may not still get a 'current (now old) address' place, but you won't automatically be on the waiting list for your 'new address' prefs, as you ranked them lower. That being said, my observation would be that Essex CC admissions do try to do their best to get allocations based on a change of address out as soon as possible, once you explain what changes you want to make.

Of course, if you get the grammar place anyway, all this is rendered academic, so to speak :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
minipot

Post by minipot »

Thank you Toadmum.
You speak lots of sense.
I feel a lot clearer too so huge thanks to everyone who has replied.

You're right...to be given the grammar school place would make it all easy, but unfortunately her score is borderline so I don't want to take anything for granted!

I'll see what, if anything, Essex admissions can advise and go from there. Time is short but thank you again to everyone who replied. You've all been a massive help
Essexdaddy

Post by Essexdaddy »

My DD first choice was CCHS with Westcliff being second. We are iC for cchs but ooc for westcliff. She is in top tier fir cchs and has a score of 395+ for Westcliff. However, we are thinking of moving to southend and not sure it will be possible for her to get to cchs from Southend. Please, is it possible to make westcliff first choice? If not, can my DD be on waiting list for westcliff? Thank you.
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, you can go on the waiting list but it will count as a late application so your DD would go on the waiting list after allocation day. Her position on the waiting list at that point will be determined by her score.

I'm a bit concerned you say you are 'thinking' of moving to Southend. You should probably get this straight before changing your preferences. There is no advantage to doing this now rather than in a few months time.