Grammar School Culture

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JayC

Grammar School Culture

Post by JayC »

Hi I think we are very lucky in Gloucestershire we have great options when it comes to secondary schools - comps, grammars, private. But I’m interested in knowing from parents of children who go to grammar schools in a few words what is their feeling of the schools culture and what they think they have learnt from the schools culture. From what I saw on visits and what parents of kids that go to these schools told me I got the following.

Pates - Kids learn to become independent thinkers
STR / DR / Marling - Kids learn to become disciplined hard workers
Crypt / Ribston - Kids learn to become creative thinkers
SHS - I don’t know, didn't visit it or know of any kids that go there

Thanks.
Skip

Re: Grammar School Culture

Post by Skip »

I asked my DC’s their thoughts on the schools they go to and they said:

Pates instils a belief that you can do anything. I agree they are a self assured bunch and can have very forthright views they feel more than happy to share!

Ribston - very nurturing / caring. Quoting DD it’s ‘like a bigger version of primary school’.
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

My DD says being a Pate's student makes her feel valued for who she is, respected and like she is invincible :)
PompeyLil

Post by PompeyLil »

Skip, I'd agree with that about Ribston, it's very nurturing. The school recognises the enormous contribution that confidence and good mental health play in children's emotional and academic development. As an all-girls school it also focuses a lot on empowering girls and young women, and I like that very much!
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

STRS is disciplined from the start. They spend year 7/8 learning they will achieve if well organised and working hard. In year 9 it relaxes, the hard work is done. Learning is fun, there is a lot of banter. By 6th form the mutual respect is astounding. But it starts with discipline and rules and the boys thrive on it when combined with real pastoral support and care and an open relationship with parents
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now