Familarisation of 11plus in Year 4-best resources - CGP/Bond

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TNM47

Familarisation of 11plus in Year 4-best resources - CGP/Bond

Post by TNM47 »

Hi

Having just been through with the 11plus with my older child, I really think it would be good to do some familarisation in Year 4 for my younger child. However I do not want this to be intense, just to start the process and cover some things.

Which books/resources would be good for this? Also I want to start building vocab (apart from reading) - any ideas?

Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Familarisation of 11plus in Year 4-best resources - CGP/

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Play word games like Scrabble and hangman? Do easy crosswords? Play games like "I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with...." Take turns in "another word for...." as you drive to school?
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

I'm not sure if this is worth it or not, but we are playing a game where shes looks in a dictionary and tries to find a word that I will not know, she reads out the description, saying if it is a verb or noun etc and I have to guess what the word is. I get some right, I get some wrong but I am hoping she is soaking up some of the words!!

OED
TNM47

Post by TNM47 »

Thanks guys
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Cgp and bond 10 minute practice books definitely good resources at age level for your child in short bursts to get familiar with format and techniques (no practice papers till later in year 5). Then general reading and anything that improves vocabulary. Also Read with child and have dictionary or phone ready to find meaning of tricky or new words as come across them. Also work on times tables. Reading and times tables key regardless of 11 plus.

???Find a word of the day app too - bit less tedious than using flash cards for Vocab!
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I would say that any kind of book (Bond / Letts) etc is too early in Yr 4. I think it should all be play related - as others have suggested - Scrabble, Hangman, Articulate is a good one, word searches, crosswords, my daughter loved Freerice. For Maths, times tables games (using a pack of cards - add up the cards, multiply etc). We also did lots of made up questions / words etc walking to school or when we were in the car.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now