Own system or single system + who shared?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JayC

Own system or single system + who shared?

Post by JayC »

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain something to me. Do the boys & girls only Grammar schools have there own ranking system or is the ranking based on a single overall standerised score you need to achieve plus which children shared results with them. My question is best explained via an example...

Lets say 1,000 shared with STRS and 900 with Marlings. If for a given child the STRS rank was 200 and Marlings was 160. Can that information be used to say that means of the extra 100 children that shared with STRS, 39 of those were in the top 200. Or is it more complicated then that and in fact each of those schools rankings are based on their own specific rules, etc.
stroudydad

Re: Own system or single system + who shared?

Post by stroudydad »

Hi, you kind of answered your own question, because yes it’s more complicated than that it can actually happen that rankings can be different between schools. A good example was a few years ago,When twin girls whom obviously had the same date of birth and so any age standardisation would’ve been the same, ended up being ranked in a different order for Ribston than they were HSFG.
Twintwinmum

Post by Twintwinmum »

Hi there
I have twin boys who sat the exam this year and results were like this...

DS1
Marling: within 150
STR: within 150
Pate’s: 299

DS2
Marling: 178
STR: 209
Pate’s: 385

Hope it helpful!
JayC

Post by JayC »

My DS's results are consistent with the previous posters 2nd child...

Previous Posters
- difference of 31 places between STR and Marlings
- Marlings being higher ranked

My son's
- difference of 29 places between STR and Marlings
- Marlings being higher ranked

So if I assume that all the school's do rank independently as specified by an earlier poster then based on the above and taking into account my sons standardised scores. I can now make some assumptions about Marlings & STR for this years exam.

Marlings weighted Maths and / or NVR higher than Verbal
STR weighted Verbal higher then Maths and NVR
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

How do you make that assumption? And by the way it’s Marling.. no s
Skip

Post by Skip »

But does it matter? Is there a reason you’re trying to figure it out? A different day with different questions and the kids who get places would be different. It’s an imperfect system (but probably the most cost effective way of selecting the kids).
jearund

Post by jearund »

Hi JC,
I'm not sure the earlier poster is correct in that I believe Pates is the only Gloucestershire grammar to set minimum rankings for each section. The other schools simply add together the overall score and rank accordingly. The reason why pupils have different ranks for different schools (even between 2 single sex ones such as STR and Marling) is that parents choose which schools to share their child's results with. This means that the cohort is different for each school. I've mapped out the results people have posted here for the last 3 years and they always follow the same pattern, except for Pates. Ranks will differ, and the number of places between ranks will differ, but they will always be in the same order (bar a few anomalies we've had due to pupil premium or mistakes). So I don't think you can say that STR favoured VR or Marling favoured NVR/ maths. What you can say is that there were more high scoring people who shared their results with STR than Marling (a bigger cohort), so those that shared with both had higher Marling rankings (a smaller cohort). But even then, some may have shared with Marling but not STR, and depending on where each of those children ranked, that affects the number of places between the ranks across the 2 schools. Does that make sense?
JayC

Post by JayC »

That had been my initial thoughts that it just must simply be who did and did not share with Marling and STR rather than each school having their own unique ranking system. So the point of my original post was to see if others had seen a difference between the standard pattern where by the Marling ranking was higher than the STR ranking, if there was enough evidence of that it would then suggest that they were using there own unique system.

As a parent I find it useful to know why my child is ranked higher for 1 school over the other, is it purely just who did and didn't share or is it more then that and actually 1 school has weighted one or more aspects of the exam higher then the other.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now