How much homework in secondary?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EssexMum2019

How much homework in secondary?

Post by EssexMum2019 »

Just curious to know from those of you who have older children already in grammar (especially CCHSG)...once we are past the year of afterschool 11+ homework, how much homework would your older ones normally get per day in Years 7/8?

Now that we have a routine, am thinking to keep at it after the exam so that the transition to Y7 isn’t too huge, although personally I am really tired with all of this homework lol!

TIA
ninanina

Re: How much homework in secondary?

Post by ninanina »

If your dc passed the 11+ and is in year 6 now, let them relax and don’t do much or even anything. Perhaps let them just read books for pleasure. This will be their last year of free childhood. In year 7 work in my children’s grammar averages 1 hour daily, in year 8 it slightly increases to 1 1/2 daily I would say.
I gave my dcs totally deserved freedom in year 6, which was a good decision after hard work in year 5. Although they were still doing SATs related work set by the school. Once year 7 started, they were well relaxed and refreshed and ready to study with enthusiasm and I never had to nag them to do their homework since.
elevenplusfanatic

Re: How much homework in secondary?

Post by elevenplusfanatic »

Couldn’t agree more!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now