Berkhamsted School (boys) -waiting list

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sampford75

Berkhamsted School (boys) -waiting list

Post by Sampford75 »

Hello. I’m hoping someone might have some previous experience of the waiting list for Berkhamsted School. We head today that my son has passed the entrance tests (for Year 7 entry) but is on the waiting list. We always knew this would be a tricky one because of the volume of applicants but it’s his absolute first choice so a bit disappointing. The school don’t provide any info about the waiting list so I’ve no idea how realistic it is to hope he might get a place if a few people decide to take places elsewhere. Does anyone have any previous experience of the waiting list or insight into whether there’s still hope?!

Thanks so much.
Daogroupie

Re: Berkhamsted School (boys) -waiting list

Post by Daogroupie »

When does the deposit for a place have to be paid by?

Some of those who have offers will also be sitting St Albans and Habs and may well prefer one of those schools so will release their offer in January if they get offers from St Albans and Habs.

The schools do not communicate over offers so it is possible to hold on to more than one offer at the same time but you will have to chose one or be prepared to pay more than one deposit by Mid March. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the problem with private school waiting lists as there is little information as to how much they have already over-offered - knowing that a large number will go elsewhere - you only have to look at prep school results to see that some may have 4-5 places and they can only take one.

Hope someone has experience of getting in off the WL as this will be useful - I suspect they wouldn't have told you you were on the WL if there was no hope. You could have a chat to the school and ask if they usually offer many from the WL?
Sampford75

Post by Sampford75 »

Thanks for your responses. Places don’t have to be accepted until March 2nd next year so we have a while to wait yet! I know lots of people use Berkhamsted as a back up for the more academic schools so we may well find that, once those results are announced in Feb places are released at Berkhamsted.

We tried to find out how many people were on the list, whereabouts we were on it and how realistic it was given their experience with previous years that we would get a place but they don’t release any info so difficult to judge.

Just need to keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you ring the school to ask how often they make offers from the waiting list, do not hesitate to tell them that they are absolutely your son’s number one choice and you could say that you would be prepared to pay the deposit immediately should a place be offered. As others have said, waiting lists for private schools are not as transparent as for state schools - what they want is children who have reached their standard and can pay.