Private school Bursary Query

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
feifei2000uk

Private school Bursary Query

Post by feifei2000uk »

Can I please ask if bursary application will affect a child entry rate? I understand the bursary application will come in different pool which has less numbers to offer.
If a child applies bursary but he/she doesn’t qualify at the end, will the child be automatically in the full fee pay students pool? In the interview stage while bursary application needs to be completed, will this affect the final offer place? We are not sure if we do qualify for bursary, but we don’t want to reduce my child entry chance. The school we are looking at St'paul girl school, city of london for girl....
mad?

Re: Private school Bursary Query

Post by mad? »

You will not impact your child's chances of an offer by applying for a bursary, just might not get it. Your best option is to talk to the admissions team, they will explain the situation with each school.
You will either qualify or not. Some schools ask you to tick a box to say whether you want to be considered for a full fee place as well, although I have never understood why as if your financial situation merited a bursary then a full fee place would be out of the question financially. SPGS aims to be needs blind and as far as I understand it has been for several years, needless to say has huge funds. Not sure about CLGS.
mad?
Excel

Post by Excel »

Ideally, it shouldn't but I'm aware of a top independent school where a place wasn't offered and when queried, the school admitted the place was not offered because the child didn't get the bursary. The parent probably had access to this information due to previous relationship with the school. I believe most schools, expect you to only apply for bursary, if you definitely couldn't afford to attend otherwise.
Elky

Post by Elky »

mad? wrote:Some schools ask you to tick a box to say whether you want to be considered for a full fee place as well, although I have never understood why as if your financial situation merited a bursary then a full fee place would be out of the question financially.
I think it's in cases where eg grandparents have offered to pay or contribute to fees that this kind of thing is appropriate. Agree that anyone eligible for a reasonable bursary would find it completely impossible to pay the fees themselves!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now