Points allownce for age

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest47

Points allownce for age

Post by Guest47 »

Perhaps someone can help me. I have looked at other posting regarding the extra points that younger kids get but don't understand the system.

We have 2 children taking the 11+ this year. One was 11 last month and the younger is the youngest in year 6. If born a week later would be in year 5 now.

The older scores more highly in practice tests at home and school but obviously the younger will get an allowance for age. How should their scores compare? :?:
chad

Post by chad »

You cannot compare two children in reference to age standardisation... I posted the following in an earlier thread...

The august born children (as a cohort) are compared to ( for arguments sake) the September born cohort.
If in the Year group there were many high scoring August born then the age standardisation would not make such a difference to overall scores for the August cohort.
It is however normal for the later born cohort (as a whole) to have lesser average score than an earlier born cohort..... this is where the age standardisation comes into play.

It is very hard to know how much of a difference the age standardisation will make as the ability of each cohort will be different.

Sorry I couldn't be more help
Guest47

Post by Guest47 »

Don't be sorry. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest47

I feel for you, having two children going through the 11+ in the same year!

I can't give you any "scientific" view on standardisation, and it will vary from year to year anyway.

My impression is that the difference between an early birthday and a very late birthday is around two or three marks - that is on the final result - the dreaded 121.

Not much help, but it may provoke a response from Patricia and Etienne, our resident experts. They would find it helpful if you posted your childrens' actual scores out of 80.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne