Oxbridge successes from Birmingham Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SVK

Oxbridge successes from Birmingham Grammars

Post by SVK »

I heard from a friend today that KEFW has14 students going to Oxbridge this year. Just announced at the school assembly today.

I also heard from another parent that Camp Hill Boys has 17 and Camp Hill Girls has 19 students offered places in Oxbridge.

I find these number quite unbelievable. Would be fantastic if true. Can anyone confirm this? And what is the result from other Birmingham Grammar schools?
KenR

Re: Oxbridge successes from Birmingham Grammars

Post by KenR »

Oxbridge offers to KE grammars do vary year on year, but 14 for KEFW doesn’t sound unreasonable given the size of the 6th form. When my DS was in 6th form about 7 years ago I recall they had about 10 offers. I also recall one year about that time that KE KES (independent) has circa 25 Oxbridge offers - but the following year it dropped significantly.

A lot depends on the nature of the students year on year and if they really want to apply to Oxbridge. Some don’t. I recall in my DS’s year one student was offered an Oxbridge place and turned it down in favour of a Russell group Univ offer. Oxbridge isn’t always the best choice for all subjects.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

KES Stratford had 15 Oxbridge offers which is just over 10% of its Y13. This is slightly down on last year (17) but last year was a stronger cohort (in terms of their GCSEs achieved), but not as strong as the current Y6 (in terms of GCSEs achieved). You cannot really compare year on year as cohorts change - as do the student decisions - a lot of very strong candidates are clever enough to realise that for their degree choices, Oxbridge unis are not the best place to study, for example - and a good school supports this.
SVK

Post by SVK »

Thanks for the insider information. Yes, I totally agree about not using Oxbridge offer as a measure of good school.

For a long time, there has been a misleading information out there that private grammar schools like KES is a better school because they tend to produce the most Oxbridge offers. I particularly remember there was one year when none of the KES students was offered a place.
daddycooks

Post by daddycooks »

At Camphill Boys I believe 13 went to Oxford or Cambridge and a further 24 went on to study medicine
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now