7 week school summer holidays 2020

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surferfish

7 week school summer holidays 2020

Post by Surferfish »

Just checking DS's (state) school calendar and it appears that they have a 7 week summer holiday this year.

Breaking up on Friday 17th July and not going back until Monday 7th September.

Is this the norm for all schools this year to have 7 rather than the usual 6 weeks? (I notice that they've chucked a few inset days into the end of summer and start of autumn terms so maybe that's the reason?)
streathammum

Re: 7 week school summer holidays 2020

Post by streathammum »

It has happened to us once or twice, although always with the inclusion of inset days - the amount of actual holiday for the teachers is usually six weeks and a couple of days.

One year our school was late going back (like yours this year) and we got a cheap holiday as a lot of holiday providers didn't class the second weekend as being in school holidays. My two are going back on 1 Sep and 3 Sep this year, so you may be able to get a cheap deal :D
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

streathammum wrote:It has happened to us once or twice, although always with the inclusion of inset days - the amount of actual holiday for the teachers is usually six weeks and a couple of days.

One year our school was late going back (like yours this year) and we got a cheap holiday as a lot of holiday providers didn't class the second weekend as being in school holidays. My two are going back on 1 Sep and 3 Sep this year, so you may be able to get a cheap deal :D
I like your thinking. Will check holiday prices for first week of September and see if there are any bargains to be had :D
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Some of DD's friends have siblings who are at private school. 9 weeks holiday. They can't however take advantage of the cheaper holidays as DD's friend at their grammar doesn't break up until the 17th. The teachers have to go in on the Monday and Tuesday after the children break up and then again on the 2nd and 3rd of September. Bizarrely the students all go in on Friday 4th of September for one day, then it's the weekend. If they didn't have the 4 inset days the summer holidays would be much shorter.

The long holidays are the reason DH never went back to work after being made redundant when DD was in Y1 at primary school, the cost of childcare in the school holidays was prohibitive. He now has a part-time job that is flexible and so works around school holidays so whilst DD (year 10) is a capable of cooking for herself (about three recipies!) and can shove a pizza in an oven, he is about to make sure she is eating well at least some of the time and run her to clubs and activities that aren't close to the rail or bus network. I do not envy parents with both parents working full time!

They close the school on a Friday in September each year for the entrance test, being closed on the Monday too for an inset day would be great for a cheap long weekend away. A primary school does something similar near us, a random long weekend - the children and parents invariably bump into each other again though at the nearby CenterParcs (other holiday camps are available!) - one year it was nearly all booked out by families from the same school, not planned but co-incidence - hilarious!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

I've never quite understood why private schools have longer holidays / shorter terms than state schools? How do they fit in the same amount of syllabus etc that presumably they would need to do?

Do they have longer school days or is it because they have smaller class sizes they can teach more efficiently?

(I have to be honest it also grates with me slightly that the wealthiest families who can afford to send their children to private schools get the benefits of cheaper holidays during standard state term times but that's life I suppose! :evil: )
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Surferfish wrote:I've never quite understood why private schools have longer holidays / shorter terms than state schools? How do they fit in the same amount of syllabus etc that presumably they would need to do?

Do they have longer school days or is it because they have smaller class sizes they can teach more efficiently?

(I have to be honest it also grates with me slightly that the wealthiest families who can afford to send their children to private schools get the benefits of cheaper holidays during standard state term times but that's life I suppose! :evil: )
The ones I know have longer school days.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, when DD was (briefly) at a private school they fitted in an extra lesson every day, which adds up over the year.
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

Some of them also have Saturday mornings too....eeek!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Some of them also have Saturday mornings too....eeek!
doodles

Post by doodles »

When DS' were at prep school they had to be in school for 8:15 am and never finished before 4pm after Reception year - and later further up the school. Games afternoons could be as late as 5:30 or 6pm if they had away matches and yes, there was the odd Saturday morning too plus quite a bit of homework towards the top end of the school. So the holidays were a welcome break.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !