Advice on 12+ application

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

traccb

Advice on 12+ application

Post by traccb »

Hi everyone. My daughter is interested in applying for the 12+ and I was wondering what hard evidence is needed to support the application. My daughter achieved 2x level 5 and missed one test by 1 point. She had been unwell the week before and also the weekend so I did send the head at letter at that time. Interestingly it was the first test that she missed a level 5 by one point. Should I get a letter from the school to state that she missed it by one point as the SATS results letter doesn't show this. (The teacher assessment for this test was a 5 - does this help?) The County Council don't have the packs yet so couldn't say exactly what was needed. I thought I would try and get any information needed before she leaves. Any advice would be most welcome !
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Assuming nothing changes this year, you only need 2 x Level 5 Sats from junior school and a good report from the head of your daughter's next senior school (about January time) confirming she is working at a good consistent pace and suitable material for an attempt at grammar school at 12+.

Only one point to make, make sure the letter containing the actual SATS results is on school headed paper. Ours wasn't and I didn't pay any attention to it at the time, so months later I had to approach the school and get them to print it out on headed paper so I could send it off with our application. :roll:

Regards

Ambridge x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the 12+ sticky and ask away ... there are a number of 12+ 'veterans' that lurk on this site ... :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi traccb

Excellent advice from Ambridge.

It is over to your daughter's new (Year 7) Head to complete the crucial form for the 12+, and 2x Level 5 SATs should be fine. Get a letter anyway from the current Head, just in case.

As Guest55 says, there are people lurking all the time who have been through the 12+, so do come back to us with questions at any time.

(Guest55 - LURKING? LURKING? :? )

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:

It is over to your daughter's new (Year 7) Head to complete the crucial form for the 12+, and 2x Level 5 SATs should be fine. Get a letter anyway from the current Head, just in case.
Sally-Anne - does this advice apply only for upper schools in Bucks? I'm concerned that a theoretically all-ability comprehensive school outside Bucks might be unwilling to support an OOC grammar school application in this way. (I'm sure we would have no problem obtaining help from the junior school, though.)

Is this recommendation from the current school absolutely essential for a child to be allowed to sit the 12+?
Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Marylou

This question has come up before, with parents being anxious that they may not get support from either Heads at Bucks Upper Schools or OOC schools.

Luckily I don't think it has ever actually happened in reality, as the Heads have put the child's interests before their own.

In the event that a Head did refuse to support an application for a child with 2 x Level 5 SATs because of self-interest or apathy, you would need to speak to Admissions and they would probably advise you to submit a letter and evidence of SATs results.

In the event that you were refused a test, you could appeal and I think a panel would look pretty kindly on your case.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks, Sally-Anne! :) Without actually knowing the head involved or having any experience of the school, it's difficult to guess what the reaction to such a request would be...but good to know that most have responded sympathetically in the past.
Marylou
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Hello all,

Daughter has just got three Level 5s in her SATs. :D

Interesting that her teacher assessed her at Level 4 on two of them. Will this assessment have a detrimental impact were we to now try for the 12+?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - its the tests that County look at.

Marylou, I was PM'd about a school that would not support a child with 2 x level 5, 1 x level 4 at KS2 'because they never do' - the child was allowed to sit the 12+ without an appeal. I think the LA are pretty good at recognising a school not wanting to lose a bright pupil.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote: Marylou, I was PM'd about a school that would not support a child with 2 x level 5, 1 x level 4 at KS2 'because they never do' - the child was allowed to sit the 12+ without an appeal. I think the LA are pretty good at recognising a school not wanting to lose a bright pupil.
Thanks, G55! :)
Marylou