A levels 2021

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdaddy

Re: A levels 2021

Post by Snowdaddy »

We were a year ahead (A levels in 2020), but you are correct that you do need to plan the open days carefully because of clashes

Our DD had a shortlist of 8, but on one Saturday 4 of them had open days.
All you can do it note all the alternative dates and work out a combination to minimise clashes
Luckily most had 2 or 3 alternative dates (some in Sep, Oct)

One Weekend was Manchester Friday and Liverpool Saturday (my wife went and they booked a hotel then got train to other City in morning). Look at getting a 16-17 railcard and booking trains about 11-12 weeks ahead (when cheap advance fares are released). We never paid more than £85 for 2 travelling and that included a day visit to Newcastle. Had we reversed the Manchester+Liverpool days trains would have been £20 more. I only discovered ticketysplit after this so maybe could have saved a few more pounds.

Sometimes we did a family day out and took car, early starts, aim to get there before 09:30, but do your planning of where car parks are (some have cheap weekend rate), if you arrive later then parking and traffic are difficult.

With the car a bit of early exploring campus helps, as an example at Sheffield we found a brilliant spacious coffee shop in union, up one floor, but most people only found the crowded one on ground floor, just what I needed at 09:15 after 3 hour drive.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi all, we had a levels last year and again this year, just wanted to reiterate what some others have said, the offer holder days are far more use than open days, so I would suggest visiting a few key places only, based mostly upon how the course actually sits with what your DC is looking for(not all courses are equal or even similar even with the same name. most unis also have virtual tours, which can be a good starting point.
Please excuse rubbish grammar etc, writing on a very shattered phone screen whilst working :D
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

A tip for year 12s prior to University Open days is search one out near where you live that is an early date and go to it.
Doesn't need to be exact course, or you actually want to go there.

But what my DD (and many of her friends found) was that the first visit is a massive shock / learning experience. Because most of the day was spent getting familiar with the experience, it was subsequently useless as a comparison in her shortlist (we actually had to go back in Autumn)

If you have been to one primary school, changed to one secondary school, have probably never experienced a big campus, ever seen inside a University accommodation hall, ever been in a student union, seen a library the size of an office block, had to work out where to eat or have coffee etc, thought about launderette, considered how far you might be carrying groceries from a supermarket etc. (All the non course related stuff that wont have thought about)

As an example DD was completely wrong footed when having seen an older hall with shared bathrooms, saw one with en-suite (which she preferred), then the tour guide casually mentioned, if you have own toilet, you have to clean it. She had never considered cleaning as part of university experience. Only after this familiarisation, can actually visit and rationally compare universities.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Totally agree with Snowdaddy. DD went to one at Reading uni, in early year 12 I think. She has no intentions of going to Reading, but used it as a bench mark to gauge other places, and so she knew what to expect. It helps that it’s a short walk from home (hence why she isn’t interested in going)

Saying that offer holders days seem to be much more useful.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD also did this - not only to get a feel for whether she might want to go to uni, but also which course she might want to do. She had 3 in mind, so visited a uni which offered all 3, and that helped her decide which subject she wanted to do.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

How's everyone's dc coping with the remote learning?
By now, if at school, my dd would have had a UCAS tutor and be starting thinking about her personal statement etc but everything like that is on hold.
She seems to be coping fine with the work but missing being at school a lot.
salsa

Post by salsa »

My eldest, in year 12, is okay. He's managed to find a rhythm. My youngest, in year 9, finds it very difficult to get motivated. The school just sets tons of work with absolutely no tuition whatsoever. I am very disappointed as they have Google classroom and Meets set up, but are not doing classes. Self learning and working independently for hours on end does not work for all.

I am also worried about my son's predicted grades. Not sure what they will come up with as the school closed the week when they were supposed to have their mocks. Early, I know.

Salsa
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

My year 12 DS is having online Lessons but it varies a lot (posted videos with a work sheet) or taught on zoom education Etc) but it really depends on The teacher as to how successful it is. I think it’s quite tiring somehow and there seems to be more homework than usual - maybe more reinforcement needed. I do think he has been motivated by seeing his y 13 sister suddenly not taking exams and relying on achievements to date/teacher assessment. He is more of a last minute merchant normally.

Sounds like they might be one of the first years to go back to school. I’m already wondering if their uni applications will be harder because of a potentially large number of current year13s deciding to defer in order to avoid missing freshers’ week and the experience of going for your first term.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

fairyelephant wrote:My year 12 DS is having online Lessons but it varies a lot (posted videos with a work sheet) or taught on zoom education Etc) but it really depends on The teacher as to how successful it is. I think it’s quite tiring somehow and there seems to be more homework than usual - maybe more reinforcement needed. I do think he has been motivated by seeing his y 13 sister suddenly not taking exams and relying on achievements to date/teacher assessment. He is more of a last minute merchant normally.

Sounds like they might be one of the first years to go back to school. I’m already wondering if their uni applications will be harder because of a potentially large number of current year13s deciding to defer in order to avoid missing freshers’ week and the experience of going for your first term.

Whether or not to ask to defer is entirely the student's decision; whether or not deferral is allowed, is entirely the university's.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

ToadMum wrote:
fairyelephant wrote:My year 12 DS is having online Lessons but it varies a lot (posted videos with a work sheet) or taught on zoom education Etc) but it really depends on The teacher as to how successful it is. I think it’s quite tiring somehow and there seems to be more homework than usual - maybe more reinforcement needed. I do think he has been motivated by seeing his y 13 sister suddenly not taking exams and relying on achievements to date/teacher assessment. He is more of a last minute merchant normally.

Whether or not to ask to defer is entirely the student's decision; whether or not deferral is allowed, is entirely the university's.
At the moment don’t know if it will be some form of virtual first term, or a physical experience (not that easy to do the step change to university virtually), so might bring existing students back in phases. Time will tell what happens.

However as one commentator has put it, if you are going to have a bout of illness when you restart, probably won’t make much difference if it is July or September or November, the restart has to happen sometime. Also pointed out easier to distance people before weather gets cold as you can have some outside gatherings in physically bigger space. Similarly if all schools restart September any Illness impact in one go (at same time) will be higher than a phased restart in June-July.

We have ruled out the deferral option, as might be more competition next year, if higher than normal numbers defer this summer. We also think an 18 month break from when school stopped will be too long. Also unclear when part time job opportunities might reopen and get back to normal.