Sports provision for boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eliza7

Sports provision for boys

Post by Eliza7 »

Hi - I would be really grateful to hear anyone's views on what the sports provision is like for boys at the following schools (either individually or comparatively): Highgate, UCS, Merchant Taylors and Belmont/Mill Hill. The sports my son is interested in are football, rugby and cricket (I know Highgate don't do rugby and MTS don't do football). All these schools look like they have great facilities, but its hard to get a feel for the other stuff (eg how good the coaching is, how many opportunities for matches, tours etc they get, how high the standard is) without actually being there! If anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it!
hermanmunster

Re: Sports provision for boys

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know about these schools but one of the things I think is important about sport is how they provide for the enthusiasts ie not just super training / tours etc for the first team but having teams all the way down the ability (if pupils want to do that) . Can be frustrating being an enthusiastic and potentially very good player if all the attention is on the top few.
Eliza7

Re: Sports provision for boys

Post by Eliza7 »

Thanks - yes, I agree. Its a difficult area to get a proper feel for - I've heard other parents also going through the 11+ process describing some of these schools as "not sporty enough" for their child or saying one is better than the other if you are into sport, and I'm intrigued to know why they think that or how they know as it all seems pretty opaque to me!