Independent school advice

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fedup

Independent school advice

Post by Fedup »

Hi

Does anyone have any specific information on Aldenham? Is it sports, drama and music heavy? Do children who have little interest in these areas get left behind? How academic and pushy is it? Any information greatly appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Independent school advice

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know anything specific but while waiting for some people who do know more about the school to appear, there are some threads where the school is mentioned here:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sport is a big focus, especially hockey and netball for the girls, but there are plenty of other opportunities as well.

I know students who are not interested in Music , Sport or Drama but are very happy there.

I would not use the word pushy but all the support and encouragement that may be needed is readily available. DG
branmoment

Post by branmoment »

Latest figures in the Watford Observer for A level in 2019

Average points: 33.52
Average Grade C+
Students with at least AAB: 16.7%
Fedup

Post by Fedup »

Hi thanks. I’ve been off the radar lately! So, I’m in a dilemma.... have been offered state school, the new Ark school in Barnet and my son has been offered a scholarship at Aldenham! Which to choose??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

branmoment wrote:Latest figures in the Watford Observer for A level in 2019

Average points: 33.52
Average Grade C+
Students with at least AAB: 16.7%
That's a low average grade - not very good results there.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I wonder if the low score in the paper linked to by branmonument is based on the likelihood at least for GCSE they are not doing regular GCSEs so their scores don’t count. Looking at the .gov.uk compare schools took it has 0% for level 5 or above in English & Maths which is likely to indicate they are doing iGCSEs. For A levels it may be a similar story so careful how the data is interpreted.

I don’t know the school so sorry I am unable to comment further.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A level results are not linked to whether they did GCSE or iGCSE - these results look weak if correct.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:A level results are not linked to whether they did GCSE or iGCSE - these results look weak if correct.
Depends on the academic requirements for the sixth form and (more importantly) the actual level of that year's intake, I suppose. As well as the quality of the teaching :wink:.

Not everyone with the money to spend on private education is looking for a punishingly selective school. The country used to be well-supplied with schools for Tim NiceButDims (still is, for all I know and we just don't talk about them on internet forums). Not, I hasten to add, to intimate that the OP's DS falls into that category. But there are plenty for whom CCC at A level represents a commendable effort, rather than a failure.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Fedup

Post by Fedup »

As you say, I want a school where my child will be happy and do well. He’s academic and not sporty at all and I feel Aldenham is an all rounder rather than purely academically focused. Worried he may get left behind if doesn’t partake in sports and competitions. Ark is a new school with no results but very disciplined and academic.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now