CLSG waiting list?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

whoopwhoop

CLSG waiting list?

Post by whoopwhoop »

Hello everyone. Does anyone have any idea of how the waiting list for CLSG is working this year? We know they’ve made very limited initial offers, and they say they are expecting a “large number” of girls on the WL to be offered a place, but with no indication of numbers overall (how many of the c. 300 girls interviewed are on the WL?) and no way of finding out the ranking the wait is agonising. We don’t know whether to give up hope or whether there’s a realistic chance. Can anyone shed any light?
whoopwhoop

Re: CLSG waiting list?

Post by whoopwhoop »

Just bumping this - has anyone got any information on the WL position for CLSG this year, given the new system?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have you tried asking the school? I'm not sure how anyone on here will have such info, unless they themselves have done that (unless you are hoping that someone responsible for admissions will be on the forum and give out information on here that they are refusing to make available to the parents of applicants as an integral part of the applications process?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
whoopwhoop

Post by whoopwhoop »

Hi ToadMum. Thank you for replying. I of course am not expecting people from the school to share information inappropriately! People on this forum had information about how many got through to the second round this year which we had not been told by the school, and which was not in the interview letter, so I thought there may be a similar situation on the WL issue. If not, no problem - I was just asking.
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

Why would take time out of their day to shame a parent for asking a question? CLSG seems to be using yet another new system for admissions. We were part of the first year of exploding offers. I honestly don't know how WL work, but from everything I've heard/read, everyone says to ring the school and ask. I would also ask your the Head at your DD's school to the same. Good luck and well done to your DD for this far.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

nylon14 wrote:Why would take time out of their day to shame a parent for asking a question? CLSG seems to be using yet another new system for admissions. We were part of the first year of exploding offers. I honestly don't know how WL work, but from everything I've heard/read, everyone says to ring the school and ask. I would also ask your the Head at your DD's school to the same. Good luck and well done to your DD for this far.
Assuming that your comment is aimed at me, I am not trying to shame the OP - the obvious (to me, anyway) place to go to first for information would be the school itself, surely?

And any genuine information would have to come from the school, somehow? Whether in a transparent fashion - telling all w/l parents, This is how we rank applicants: your DD was ranked xth and is therefore in initial position y on the waiting list , or by an individual asking for clarification subsequent to just being told the outcome of their application and passing what they have learned on to others (so yes, another forum member may have done that and will post on here) - or, by someone with inside knowledge through their position in the school, making information available on here that is not being given as part of the school's operating procedures for giving information to patents.

People can make observations, e.g. 'School x made at least 12 more offers this year than last, because there are 5 classes of 20 in my DD's year and 4 classes of 22 in the year above', but unless the informant has actually counted all the applicants in on exam day, then on each interview session, even 'The school had x applicants and interviewed y' must have come from an official source somewhere along the line to be accurate.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blossom8

Post by Blossom8 »

WhoopWhoop, my DD is on waiting list too but we won't follow up as we will most likely go down the grammar route.

I would suggest you contact the school and express your strong desire for your DD to go to the school etc … They will have a clearer picture by 2 March being national school offer day. I know someone where her DS was waitlisted at City Boys a few years ago, she didn't hear anything so phoned them and was told by the school that they had posted her a letter saying all spaces were filled then in the same conversation a few mins later, that in fact they can offer him a place if she is prepared to accept the offer immediately which is somewhat odd!

Don't give up, keep us posted and I hope your DD gets in.
whoopwhoop

Post by whoopwhoop »

Blossom8 wrote:WhoopWhoop, my DD is on waiting list too but we won't follow up as we will most likely go down the grammar route.

I would suggest you contact the school and express your strong desire for your DD to go to the school etc … They will have a clearer picture by 2 March being national school offer day. I know someone where her DS was waitlisted at City Boys a few years ago, she didn't hear anything so phoned them and was told by the school that they had posted her a letter saying all spaces were filled then in the same conversation a few mins later, that in fact they can offer him a place if she is prepared to accept the offer immediately which is somewhat odd!

Don't give up, keep us posted and I hope your DD gets in.
Thank you so much for replying, Blossom8. Congratulations to your DD for getting on the WL and for her grammar school success! She’s done so well. That City Boys story is very disconcerting - lucky for your friend but sounds like it was complete chance she was on the phone at the time. I’ll speak to the school early next week. I hope some people have made up their mind over half term and there will be some movement, but I expect it may be 2 March before there’s any significant change. Such a horrible wait! Thanks again for your kindness and support.
whoopwhoop

Post by whoopwhoop »

nylon14 wrote:CLSG seems to be using yet another new system for admissions. We were part of the first year of exploding offers. I honestly don't know how WL work, but from everything I've heard/read, everyone says to ring the school and ask. I would also ask your the Head at your DD's school to the same. Good luck and well done to your DD for this far.
Exactly - it’s yet another new system and they’ve given very little info to us. I understand why they don’t say where girls are exactly on the WL but it’s a shame they have not given everyone some overall numbers so they can be informed (we’ve made X offers and there are Y girls on the WL, for example). Thanks for replying and we will speak to the school and the Head at DD’s school. Thank you and have a great weekend.
Blossom8

Post by Blossom8 »

Any news Whoop Whoop? I know two girls sitting on offers that will reject City on Monday in favour of the grammar schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now