Grammar vs independant

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jamalana

Grammar vs independant

Post by Jamalana »

Hey everyone
Just after some advice. We live in Brentwood and have been offered a full academic scholar ship at Brentwood school. Our daughter has also scored well and we are in catchment for CCHS so now we are in a predicament about which school to go for? Has anyone got any experience of either? Our daughter loves both equally so not sure what route to go down so thought I’d come on here and ask if anyone has any opinions on the schools? Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Grammar vs independant

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Can you actually afford Brentwood (you don't have to answer that!) A full academic scholarship sounds great but in reality, that may only be 10-20% off fees (and that is fees only...not trips etc) - unless you mean a bursary which is means tested and could be as much as 100% off fees? Do you have other children to consider - can you afford to send them private if necessary, if they don't get an offer from a grammar school, for example?

Then take finance out of it and ask which school you prefer if you didn't have to pay? Which offers opportunities that your daughter will be interested in (having shiny facilities is all well and good but pointless if they are in things that your daughter has no intention of taking up). What are the academic attainment levels like? This doesn't mean your daughter will achieve the same grades but will give you an indication of what might happen - is one school much better academically? Which school is easier to get to? 7 years is a long time going back and forward!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KCG, if you live near the station in Brentwood, travel to CCHS would be abou 40 - 45 minutes (significantly less if actually near Shenfield station, as that is where one would change from Brentwood and the train journey to Chelmsford from Shenfield is about 10 minutes). From near to Brentwood station to Brentwood School is about a 15 minute walk.

The two schools themselves are about 12 miles apart.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Jamalana

Post by Jamalana »

We have been offered part bursary part scholarship with fees covered 100 % so haven’t got to worry about the financial side of things. We are a ten minute walk to brentwood station. We have worked out door to door that it will take her around an hour each way to get to CCHS and only 15 mins or so for Brentwood school.

Brentwood school has lots of positives such as mixed which I really like and obviously on our doorsteps. It is good for sport there but our daughter isn’t very sporty so that’s a negative although the music and art departments are brilliant. And then cchs is better academically and I feel she will be pushed to her full potential there but I worry that the pressure along with the slightly longer journey is a downside! Argh it’s such a predicament (although a fortunate one to be in as both fabulous schools)

Thank you for your replies and if any one else has any opinions or feedback on the schools it would be helpful :-)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

This is a no-brainer for me. Both are great schools, go with the one logistically easier for the next 5 years -Brentwood School. You will make a family on the CCHS waiting list very happy too!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Would have to agree that a fee paid place and ten minutes from home would swing it for me.
mad?

Post by mad? »

+1
mad?
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Well done to your daughter! What a wonderful predicament for her to be in!

If it really is a 50:50 split I'd to with the nearest school personally.
Jamalana

Post by Jamalana »

mad? wrote:+1

What does that mean please?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Jamalana wrote:
mad? wrote:+1

What does that mean please?
That mad? is seconding the sentiment expressed by kenyancowgirl.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now