Guardian article about Grammar school testing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Deb70

Guardian article about Grammar school testing

Post by Deb70 »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... s-tribunal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting article about eleven plus testing in Buckinghamshire.
jxp

Re: Guardian article about Grammar school testing

Post by jxp »

Interesting article.

So the raw scores were not released and public has no knowledge of how raw score X is turned into converted score Y (what public see and selection is based on).

Which means, in reality, they could do some data manipulation internally but parents won't know.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Extremely interesting, not least because it states that the boy concerned sat the Buckinghamshire test in 2012, yet the first CEM cohort was in 2013, the year my daughter did the test. Confirmed by the fact that he's already had a university offer, which would put him in year 13 now - the year above her. So I'm a bit confused as to how the dispute can possibly involve CEM, as previous cohorts were still sitting the old-style GL Assessment test. In any case, the raw scores WERE released on request in the first year of the CEM test - it was only later that they stopped doing this as (presumably) they realised that it would give away useful information about the number of questions in each category. So, while it's an interesting idea and more transparency is always welcome, it raises even more questions in my mind!
Marylou
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This is very strange, because he is actually in Reading and sat the Reading test, which at the time was set by the school themselves.

I’m not sure if his son also sat the Bucks test, but I do know where his son went to primary and it wasn’t in Bucks...
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

It's stated in the article, though ... "He was a bright lad, often at the top of the class in his Buckinghamshire primary school, and the grammar school was just down the road."

We can be forgiven for feeling a tad confused...
Marylou
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Marylou wrote:It's stated in the article, though ... "He was a bright lad, often at the top of the class in his Buckinghamshire primary school, and the grammar school was just down the road."

We can be forgiven for feeling a tad confused...
Everything is correct about that statement, as far as I know, except the county, which definitely isn’t.