Areas in Orpington to move

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
EssexMum

Areas in Orpington to move

Post by EssexMum »

My son has got an offer from St Olaves school and if we accept this offer then we will need to move to Orpington before september. We are thinking of renting initially.
Please can you suggest which areas near to the school and train stations are good and which ones to avoid?
Sorrel

Re: Areas in Orpington to move

Post by Sorrel »

Have you got any younger children who would need primary school places and potentially decent comprehensive places if they don't get a grammar one? If so, are they boys or girls?
EssexMum

Post by EssexMum »

Sorrel wrote:Have you got any younger children who would need primary school places and potentially decent comprehensive places if they don't get a grammar one? If so, are they boys or girls?
Yes i have a 1 yr old boy
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Well, I think primary schools are mostly fine, and you'd obviously be moving into area well before applying. For secondary schools, Darrick Wood and Ravens Wood are generally fine, but Harris Academy Orpington is the former Priory School which was closed after being found Inadequate, and the Harris Academy was Requires Improvement last year.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Orpington is not in Kent. It is in the London Borough of Bromley.

Lots of children commute to the school and walk from Orpington station so anywhere along that line. Petts Wood has the excellent primary of Crofton and a lovely community feel. Nice shops, parks, restaurants and clubs. For non selective for boys if they don’t get Olaves, Dartford or the Bexley grammars for boys Ravens Wood is popular. It depends a lot on your budget too as to what locations will work for you.
KHmummy

Post by KHmummy »

Have a look at Chelsfield, it’s a nice area not far from Olaves and has a station with good links to London, it’s also close to the M25. Also Green Street Green (there’s more than one so make sure it’s the one in Orpington - I think the post code is BR6) is really nice, again it’s close to Olaves and not far from Orpington railway station.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've moved this to the correct region for you.
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

You could even come out as far a Knockholt. Lovely village, great community and beautiful countryside. Good trains into London, very quick to Orpington and covered by the Oyster card. Any further out and you are into Network Southeast.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11plusNoobDad

Post by 11plusNoobDad »

I lived near the Orpington Hospital for 10 years. A 2005 development and in catchment of Warren Road Primary an outstanding school. Walk to train station was 15mins, walk to Olaves about 10mins, walk to Warren Road about 5mins. 4 or 5 buses to High St. Great links to London Bridge from Orpington station (fast train about 15mins). 5mins and you are on the M25, 15mins drive to Bluewater Shopping Center......etc. Goodluck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now