Birmingham allocations 2020 - in catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Re: Birmingham allocations 2020 - in catchment

Post by KenR »

Good intentions but that's not how the results panned out and their modelling didn't quite live up to their expectations. Words like 'as far as possibe' suggests there was always a possibility albeit their modelling Suggested otherwise. Regardless of the discussions at implementation of the new rules, by law they only have to follow what they have published. I wouldn't want to give people false hope that they may get a place on Appeal. Only a very small number succeed.
I think when all the shuffling is done then the Cat 4 children will be accommodated but I wouldn't expect any cat 5 for FW or CHB (sadly).
I agree that many Cat 4 children may be accommodated after the shuffle but if they aren't then I would expect the KE Appeal Panel to be far more sympathetic and accommodating than in previous years. Historically for Appeals to KE Grammars the panel have taken a strict black and white view - either the child achieved the published score or they didn't. The only successful Appeals being those where there was exceptional circumstances (viz. gross maladministration or a very close score with sibling already at the school etc).

This year there are theoretically some children, in catchment with a high score but living at the catchment extremities, for whom it was impossible for them ever to be allocated a place due to perverse nature of the Admissions criteria set by the KE Foundation. If it came down to this, post waiting list changes, then I suspect that the KE Foundation Appeals Panel would ultimately bend the rules, approve the Appeal and make offers over PAN as it will only be a few children in this situation.

I agree with you that I don't think any Cat 5 place will be available for KEFW or CHB.
Nella

Post by Nella »

We’re not even at the catchment extremity. I know of a couple of very high scoring children who live further away than us!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Nella wrote:We’re not even at the catchment extremity. I know of a couple of very high scoring children who live further away than us!
I would definitely speak to the KE Foundation Office and find out where you are on the waiting list. You might also mention that you are considering an Appeal and see what there reaction is. I suspect they will be quite sympathetic. There used to be significant movement on the waiting list but there may not be as much this year.

Don't give up yet.
jojo1506

Post by jojo1506 »

DS offered KEH . 5 MILES. NON PP. SCORE 213. No siblings at school,was his 3rd choice . :P
Last edited by jojo1506 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Nella wrote:https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers

KEFW data on line. I can only assume the 4974m is a sibling as we are closer.... how frustrating!
Aha this is interesting- the furthest distance has been amended by KEFW. Last child admitted is 4461m. I rang the council and we’re 4557m... 96m too far away!

https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You must end up in good position on the WL with that distance
Waawaa

Post by Waawaa »

Hi, we’re in catchment, 2.72 miles, score 214, no pp, no sibling.
Offered at KE Aston (cat 5)
Waawaa

Post by Waawaa »

Hi, we’re in catchment, 2.72 miles, score 214, no pp, no sibling.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Waawaa wrote:Hi, we’re in catchment, 2.72 miles, score 214, no pp, no sibling.
That’s great. Congratulations on the place. It must be a relief.
Slater25

Post by Slater25 »

Sorry if I am missing something here but I thought you had to get over 222 unless pp so how come there are scores of 213 non pp getting a place? Has the score come down?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now