School's plan B due to Coronavirus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

School's plan B due to Coronavirus

Post by salsa »

Hi all,

I hear that some primary schools are beginning to think about having a plan B where they will be using software such as Skype for Business. There are other programs such as GoToWebinar and Zoom. There are free licences for these, but I think they have limitations of the number of attendees, etc. The good thing is that only the school would have to get the licence, but not the students. My son was recently on a webinar by Imperial college. They managed to make it engaging by putting polls, etc.

So, far, my sons' school, Dartford Grammar have not told us anything about any plan B, but the teachers I know, from other schools, say they don't know any such software and that they are not preparing. They think they could assign homework via software such as Active Learn or Google Classroom. I think this would be unfair as somebody needs to do the teaching. The good thing about remote teaching is that one teacher could be teaching more than 30 students. So, they wouldn't need to follow the school timetable. My sons are teenagers and I have the ability to work from home. I think I could get them to focus on lessons, but if they were younger, this would be a real challenge.

The challenges would be that everyone would need to have a device with internet connectivity.

Just curious,

Salsa