St Olaves or Independent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: St Olaves or Independent

Post by Daogroupie »

OP, You may have made your decision by now but what sort of things is your ds interested to and did he like the school and the environment when he was there for the exams?

It a great all rounder school with academics and sports that are highly competitive and it is likely to be more academic than your local private school.

What does your ds think? Would he already have a friendship group at the local indy? DG
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Top school wrote:Hello, just want to check regarding the waiting lists for stolaves..what are the chances regarding any movement in getting a place.. please advice as it’s our first preference our DS is shattered hope someone can guide us through Thanks in advance
I contacted admissions@saintolaves.net and asked if it was likely my son would get an offer from the waiting list based on historical movement after allocation day. They confirmed that it's not likely, which is fine; he has an offer we're very happy with and it's very helpful to be able to plan for that as a certainty.
Top school

Post by Top school »

Yes sure will try to send an email and check with them thankyou.. good luck to your DS
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Top school wrote:Yes sure will try to send an email and check with them thankyou.. good luck to your DS
Thanks, good luck to yours too.
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

Sorrel wrote:
Top school wrote:Hello, just want to check regarding the waiting lists for stolaves..what are the chances regarding any movement in getting a place.. please advice as it’s our first preference our DS is shattered hope someone can guide us through Thanks in advance
I contacted admissions@saintolaves.net and asked if it was likely my son would get an offer from the waiting list based on historical movement after allocation day. They confirmed that it's not likely, which is fine; he has an offer we're very happy with and it's very helpful to be able to plan for that as a certainty.
That's interesting to know. I phoned up yesterday, and the voicemail said if you're calling to ask about your son who was not offered a place, then don't phone until Monday 16 March! I'd rather know sooner rather than later though, so I will send an email.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Heh, maybe mine was so far down the list they could be confident! But no harm dropping an email, they were fine about it and came back quickly.
Top school

Post by Top school »

Hi ya, just received a mail from stolaves. Our DS is unlikely to get an offer so we are out of it I guess.. thanks for the help so we can move on
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

Top school wrote:Hi ya, just received a mail from stolaves. Our DS is unlikely to get an offer so we are out of it I guess.. thanks for the help so we can move on
I also heard back from St Olave's, and my DS is also unlikely to get an offer. Oh well, at least we know now! I think it'll be unlikely to get Dartford from the waiting list too, so we're happy with our 3rd choice Beths.

Top school, which school did you get offered, and are you happy enough with it? Good luck to you.
Top school

Post by Top school »

We have been offered wcgs which is our third choice.. second choice is Wilson’s we are on the waiting list on that fingers crossed.. good luck everyone
ChalkyC

Post by ChalkyC »

We had a similar email from Olaves re the wait list! It’s good to know I suppose. We got Chis and Sid which was our second choice but also had independent offers and have accepted one of those.

Back to the OP - we *may* have accepted Olaves over an independent but not in the case that we would have to move house for a school we had not looked round or an area we did not know! How did you find the taster morning on Saturday and did that help you make up your mind?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now