Coronavirus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Surferfish

Coronavirus

Post by Surferfish »

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already (apologies if there is and I missed it).

Are any of you feeling concerned? Ireland announced today that they are closing all schools. Could the same thing happen in UK?

Could GCSEs, A levels and other exams be affected. What about school trips and holidays? DS was supposed to go on a 6th form Law conference in Cambridge the week after next but we have just been informed it is being cancelled. Not the end of the world in the big scheme of things I know, but a shame as he was looking forward to it.

It looks like all manner of things could be disrupted.

One positive thing for parents I suppose is that it sounds as if children seem less prone to getting seriously ill from it.
doodles

Re: Coronavirus

Post by doodles »

Surferfish wrote:One positive thing for parents I suppose is that it sounds as if children seem less prone to getting seriously ill from it.
Unless they are immune compromised and then it won't be good. From what I understand although children dont seem to be getting Covid19 they are quite effective carriers and that can be serious if they live with unwell / vulnerable people of any age.

Hopefully there will be news from this afternoon's COBRA meeting.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

doodles wrote:
Surferfish wrote:One positive thing for parents I suppose is that it sounds as if children seem less prone to getting seriously ill from it.
Unless they are immune compromised and then it won't be good. From what I understand although children dont seem to be getting Covid19 they are quite effective carriers and that can be serious if they live with unwell / vulnerable people of any age.

Hopefully there will be news from this afternoon's COBRA meeting.
Yes, agreed.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

My concern is if schools close it will affect those preparing for GCSE's and A' Levels. Most schools will not have completed the syllabus yet.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:My concern is if schools close it will affect those preparing for GCSE's and A' Levels. Most schools will not have completed the syllabus yet.
I expect most will be in the same situation. I have everything crossed that they hold off on closing schools until the natural Easter break. That gives a fighting chance that the syllabus will be covered, although Biology seems to be the one that probably needs time after Easter to complete (for DD anyway).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Govt scientific adviser says they won;t be shutting schools as they need to shut for 13-16 weeks to be effective
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's a worrying time for everyone, it seems to be the only thing on the news, which makes us all anxious, but there's nothing to be gained by speculating.
Encourage everyone to practice good hygiene & here's hoping it will soon be under control.
scary mum
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

hermanmunster wrote:Govt scientific adviser says they won;t be shutting schools as they need to shut for 13-16 weeks to be effective
Its odd how different countries seem to be adopting quite different policies.

Ireland has far less cases than the UK but have decided to close all schools.

Who is right? Surely the scientific view should be the same whichever country it is? :?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It sort of makes sense - they expect the peak to come in 10-14 weeks. If you close schools now, then people are keen to self isolate and try hard, but then they will come back as the peak hits and the longer anyone has to self isolate, the less willing they become.

I suspect Ireland's approach is to try and stop the spread now, as they are behind us in terms of cases. As scary says - carry on as normal, with increased hygiene and if you have a cough and/or a temperature, do everyone a favour and self isolate for 7 days. Those who are elderly, vulnerable and immunocompromised rely on everyone else to keep them safe.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the same number of people are going to get the disease come what may, just need to spread it out a bit with the minimum amount of time in quarantine. TBH people are not going to stick the 7 day quarantine, most cough and fever will go within 2 days and they will then get cabin fever instead