GCSE and A Levels cancelled

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Surferfish

Re: GCSE and A Levels cancelled

Post by Surferfish »

Tinkers wrote:I don’t think it’s totally unfair. A lesson learnt for those who follow though.

None if us know what’s around the corner. Even if there was no pandemic, you can’t know that DCs are going to be in fine health, or break an arm or Fall ill. Family tragedies might happen.

On the day of one of his O levels, DH was cycling to school with a bunch of his friends when one of them was knocked over by a lorry. Obviously he was badly affected but the rest of them were shook up too. Exam board did whatever they did back then to adjust to take that into account.

A friend of mine had his mother die the week before his A levels. Single parent family and he was the only child. Lots to deal with on his own. Crashed trough his A levels and got very low grades (I think maybe a couple of Es). Still got a uni place based on his performance before that. The school had evidence of a much better expected performance.

If either of them had not had past performance to look back on the results may have been different.

DD had her mocks in Feb. Seeing the global situation unfold, knowing there maybe a possibility of it spreading here, and maybe her getting ill, she made sure she put effort into her mocks. It paid off as she got higher than her predicted grades in 2oo3 subjects (couldn’t improve on the third as that’s predicted A* anyway). And now it looks as though it might actually count for something.
Fair enough, we never know what personal problems or tragedies might occur during exam time.

But then it begs the question, why bother to have GCSE and A level exams at all for anyone in a normal year? If internal tests and teacher's assessment are an acceptable way to judge a pupils capability why don't we just always do that?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds is unlikely to get his predicted 4A* as he was unwell from November until February. He is now working back at full strength and was certainly on course to achieve his predictions (mocks last week of 2A* and 2A) but unfortunately his school work in the first months of this year probably won't back this up.

He is one where cramming would have definitely upped his grades. Hopefully the powers that be will take into account evidence from GCSEs and yr12.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think A2 exams should take place, whenever feasible. University start should be delayed and continue during next summer. Everyone would have fair chance then.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

doodles wrote:Ds is unlikely to get his predicted 4A* as he was unwell from November until February. He is now working back at full strength and was certainly on course to achieve his predictions (mocks last week of 2A* and 2A) but unfortunately his school work in the first months of this year probably won't back this up.

He is one where cramming would have definitely upped his grades. Hopefully the powers that be will take into account evidence from GCSEs and yr12.
Hopefully the teachers who know him will take that into account in what they put forward for grades.

My comment was really about the students on TSR complaining that they hadn't done much in class or taken the mocks seriously but they would have pulled it out of the hat in the real exams.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Surferfish wrote:

But then it begs the question, why bother to have GCSE and A level exams at all for anyone in a normal year?
Haven't they been pushing for GCSEs to be scrapped anyway? I predict a huge change for the current exam system.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote:
doodles wrote:Ds is unlikely to get his predicted 4A* as he was unwell from November until February. He is now working back at full strength and was certainly on course to achieve his predictions (mocks last week of 2A* and 2A) but unfortunately his school work in the first months of this year probably won't back this up.

Hopefully the teachers who know him will take that into account in what they put forward for grades.

My comment was really about the students on TSR complaining that they hadn't done much in class or taken the mocks seriously but they would have pulled it out of the hat in the real exams.
Read a tweet from a teacher the other day. They had got an email from a parent basically along the lines that ‘I know little Johnnie isn’t great at handing in homework and his work has been very inconsistent, and that he didn’t do great in his eoy exams or mocks. However I feel the predicted 4 you gave him is too low and he was aiming to start working so he could achieve a 6.’

I feel for teachers who might be getting a myriad of such emails. Hopefully schools have a stock answer for these. I know a number of other teachers replying said their schools certainly had pre empted this.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I can assure you that I haven't emailed the school. I have confidence in their professional judgement!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

doodles wrote:I can assure you that I haven't emailed the school. I have confidence in their professional judgement!
I’d think most of us do. And if my DD hadn’t been working etc, then that’s on her.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That is right - the teachers drum it into pupils that they should work hard all the way through and do their best in exams - if they choose not to, then that is their choice and it may be a hard lesson learnt, but they will remember this going forward.

Private school teachers have to deal with parents who always think rules don't apply to their kids - actually this year, the grades may well be a lot truer - as evidence/past performance and teachers' judgement will make up the grade rather than just a prediction (I know a school locally that told a friend of mine not to worry, they would predict her son the 3 A* so that medical schools would consider him for interview - incidentally he got interviews and offers but didn't get the 3 A*, got 2As and a B...so it was pointless...) but the school is able to say that so and so had x number of medical school offers...

I think doodles, your son will be OK as they will look at the whole picture and still be able to put in a special consideration for him due to his ill health, as that has been evidenced throughout the year.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I guess ultimately it’s all about the evidence. Teachers need to be able to justify the grades they are giving for students. So evidence of work, exam results, medical issues etc need to be all there and if they are then teachers can use them to justify their decisions. If they aren’t there then they can’t.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now