Level 2 project qualification AQA

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

drvramachandran

Level 2 project qualification AQA

Post by drvramachandran »

My daughter is selecting her GCSE options. The school is offering a level 2 project qualification AQA.
Does anyone have first hand experience of what this entails.
Can anyone advice what benefit this would offer the student in the future. Is the project qualification onerous?
Is this similar to additional mathematics / FSMQ ? Is it similar to the A level EPQ?
Any advice would be of help.
Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Level 2 project qualification AQA

Post by hermanmunster »

my DD did the EPQ in year 11 which was a level 3, it looks to me like the level 2 is similar in structure but presumably not as much work ?

The EPQ was interesting and although the uni course was unrelated to the EPQ subject I think it helped when applying to have had a good mark in it
RedMaple

Re: Level 2 project qualification AQA

Post by RedMaple »

My College has been offering this qualification for a couple of years. It's essentially a version of the EPQ but at Level 2; known as the Higher Project Qualification or HPQ.
Runs in a very similar way to the EPQ; pupils research a subject of their own choosing, which they then develop into either an artefact/product or a 2,000 word report. It's designed to help with research and communications skills and help prepare pupils for Level 3 study.

We tend to offer it to first year students (aged 16) who are not ready for a L3/A Level programme and need some support in developing their study skills. I don't think it's as widely offered in schools; could be wrong.
EPQ has significant value at 6th form and with uni applications, as unis may offer a reduced grade for an A Level if a good grade is achieved in the EPQ, it carries UCAS tariff points and develops research skills.

My personal opinion (fwiw!) is that unless your DC is planning to do A Levels that are very heavy on research, debate and essay skills, I wouldn't necessarily choose this over other stuff on offer that might be more useful. Hope this helps.