Ho Hummm

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicaukids

Ho Hummm

Post by nicaukids »

Hello
Not been on for a while...
Got SATs results... DS missed 11+ by 3 points & we went through failed appeal...

Guess what...? He got 3 level 5s (English, Maths & Science) - and level 5 in teacher assessed English.

Ever feel like you're a dog being kicked when it's down...?

Roll on 12+
Have a good weekend.
Nicky
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi - well done to your son!

I believe there are quite a number of children with 3 level 5s in Upper schools - the 11+ does not always get it right.

Do go for the 12+ there will be places at some GS -
Sally-Anne

Re: Ho Hummm

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nicky
nicaukids wrote: Ever feel like you're a dog being kicked when it's down...?

Roll on 12+
Yup. for a whole 18 months. :(

With 3x Level 5 SATs you are in a very good place.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi Nicky, just a quick line to show solidarity! Even though our tale has turned out OK- DD is now going to an independent school ( which we can only afford because I have taken a job there!) it is only through good luck that we have ended up where we are. It still bothers me that my DD got all level 5s for teacher assessment and the tests, and indeed received a certificate to show that she achieved the highest marks for English in the school (out of 45 students) and that I can't now use this to at least prove to the GS that we were right.
It is frustrating when you cannot convince appeal panels of your child's ability, but you still have the 12+, and there are people on here like Sally-Anne who have been through the process before and provide invaluable support.
All the very best to your family
Bougalou
sarah

Post by sarah »

I understand how you feel too.
Had 118 and failed appeal( with a strong case)

NOW
x3 5s SATs and X3 5s Teacher assessment.

Will go for 12+.But can't stop feeling they let lots of children slip thro' the net.

Best Wishes

Sarah x
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

sarah wrote:But can't stop feeling they let lots of children slip thro' the net.
In the end, there are only so many grammar school places - they need a cut-off somewhere. And, at the risk of sounding like a right old misery-guts [this affects me directly as well :( ], achieving 3 Level 5's doesn't mean the child is automatically grammar school material. In fact, over 40% of Bucks children score a Level 5 in each of the 3 subjects. That is way above the 20% of state primary children who qualify for a grammar school place under the 11+.
sarah

Post by sarah »

Dear Dad40,
You don't sound like a misery guts!!

I do believe some kids have had failed appeals who should be in Grammar.
I think my daughter could be one of them!!!!!!!!! :roll:
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

I don't know how this happens, but I have heard of more than one child who didn't qualify in South Bucks, was unsuccessful at appeal and then somehow (don't ask me how!) got into local grammar long before 12+ exam. Perhaps their parents approached the school direct? Who knows?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tom's Mum

There are 2 Foundation Schools in South Bucks - Beaconsfield High School and Royal Grammar at Wycombe.

If all their places are not filled with successful 11+ candidates they can invite children to take the school's own entrance exam.

This definitely happened a couple of years ago with RGS, but I have not heard of it happening at BHS.

If it is any school other than those two, I would be most surprised.

Sally-Anne
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

It's neither of those schools, and purely anecdotal, but I've heard it from more than one source on more than one occasion ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now