Kent Papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twellsmum

Kent Papers

Post by twellsmum »

Can anyone help me - I have been doing Bond VR papers with my daughter who is due to sit 11+ in September. Someone said that Kent only use certain types of questions. Can someone please tell me what they do use as this is my daughter's weaker area and I don't want to waste any time with her doing question types that won't come up.

Any tips for poor spellers appreciated too. Her reading is fine (reading age 13) but writing and spelling is not good (well not as good as I think it should be).

Thanks!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

games like scrabble, using a dictionary to check spelling.

Lots of practice on homonyms (words which are spelt or sound teh same but have different meanings), word searches.

Kent follow the Nfer papers which only use 15 types of question and bond do far more.

IPS papers are good, Susan daughtrey, bright sparks ,

There is an absolutely excellent Methods and Techiniques Course which is a free download on this site. The Tutors vol1 and vol2 downloads are also suitable for Kent.

Make sure you have practice in using the Multiple Choice answer sheet. With Verbal reasoning especially you can use the sheet to eliminate some answers. eg if you know teh word begins with R and only 2 of teh given answers begin with R you are straight away down to 2 possibles. With some types of question this cuts down time considerably. For hidden word type questions the sentenc #e is in 2 word chunks on teh answer sheet , far easier to spot the 2 which contain a word
twellsmum

Kent

Post by twellsmum »

Hi Yo Yo!

Thanks for your reply. I do have some Nfer papers but we have not got to those yet as still doing the Bond. How would I find out which the 15 types are please (sorry if I am being thick!).
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

yoyo123, thank you for these tips. Do you have any more? I feel that as I don't have a tutor I may be missing out on some time-savers. I have come to the conclusion that this is a bad place to lurk as I get more and more worried about not having a tutor.

Thanks.
dadofkent

Re: Kent

Post by dadofkent »

twellsmum wrote:Hi Yo Yo!

Thanks for your reply. I do have some Nfer papers but we have not got to those yet as still doing the Bond. How would I find out which the 15 types are please (sorry if I am being thick!).

If you scroll down through the verbal reasoning threads, e.g the NFER/IPS thread, you will find most of what you need to know.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There is a a really good game idea on teh free downloads section , patricia has a list of compound words and suggests writing the halves on record cards and playing a pairs game with them. I use this a lot and the children love playing it.

It's worth searching on google for word games too. (be careful some are VERY American!)

Sally-Anne has posted a 'sticky' which gives the types of question and Tutors and IPS letters/numbers fo rthem.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3740

The first 15 apply to Kent but occasionally one of the other 6 types creeps in. May be worth briefly covering types 16 to 21 (also referred to as the HIKNOS questions)
twellsmum

Kent papers

Post by twellsmum »

Thanks again YoYo!