Successful in more than one appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bigbirdcw

Successful in more than one appeal?

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Hi All, hope you are all well and staying safe

Quick question regarding appeals. What would happen if you were in the fortunate position of winning 2 appeals? One is administered by the local authority (non-grammar, over subscription only), one by the academy itself (different local authority, grammar, non-qualification and over-subscription).

I know that it would be highly unlikely to be successful at both, but what would happen if I was? Would I be automatically given the higher original choice of the two?

Thanks for any advice
ToadMum

Re: Successful in more than one appeal?

Post by ToadMum »

Bigbirdcw wrote:Hi All, hope you are all well and staying safe

Quick question regarding appeals. What would happen if you were in the fortunate position of winning 2 appeals? One is administered by the local authority (non-grammar, over subscription only), one by the academy itself (different local authority, grammar, non-qualification and over-subscription).

I know that it would be highly unlikely to be successful at both, but what would happen if I was? Would I be automatically given the higher original choice of the two?

Thanks for any advice
If you are successful at appeal, your DC has a place at that individual school. So in the event of success at two appeals, your DC has a place at each of the schools, independently. It is up to you to decline the place if you no longer want it. Each appeal hearing (even if the constituent panel members and clerk are exactly the same people - which they may be, even if one appeal is arranged via the school and one by the LA, because panel members especially may be 'on the books' for more than one organisation) is an independent event and the assumption is that you are appealing because you want a place at that school.

(If you decline a place won at appeal, no-one else gets an offer instead - for non-selective schools, because the place wasn't there to start with (if the year group wasn't full, no appeal would have been necessary). For selective schools, the school may be under PAN, but there are no more qualified applicants, but you turning down the place doesn't make another DC qualified if the IAP didn't decide that they were at the time of the appeal, iyswim).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now