Anybody else have a child due to sit the 11+ september 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bati

Anybody else have a child due to sit the 11+ september 2020

Post by Bati »

Hi

I thought we could support one another :D

I have a daughter in yr 5 who will be sitting the 11+ this september. She has already visited the open evenings last september to 2 schools and we was hoping to go to West Kirbys open evening in May but due to the coronavirus it very unlikely this will go a head.

I have already taken my older child through the process but its a completely different 11+ exam now and that child has now finished school.

Bati xx
kelannhugh

Re: Anybody else have a child due to sit the 11+ september 2

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi

My daughter is also in year 5 and due sit this years exam September. I'm hoping everything will be ok for her to sit. We looked around WKG last year Open Evening. I was hoping to look around Upton. BHSA is also an option.

I too have an older daughter who sat the 11+ many years ago when it was just the VR exam. I'm happy the assessment is GL rather than CEM. I'm worried though as with the school closures and not looking at re-opening anytime soon my daughter is at a disadvantage having me teach her.

How are you managing playing teacher?

Kelannhugh xx
Bati

Post by Bati »

Hi

I am lucky dd's school have been sending maths and illiteracy work for her to do, so I haven't had to really do much in that respect. Thankfully she just gets on with it and comes to me when and if she is stuck.

We love upton hall and we are Catholic so she is pretty much guaranteed a place if she passes, however there is no school bus from where we live to the school so I would have to commit driving her there and back every day.

I have a feeling schools won't be back till September.

The 11+ seems more of a minefield than it used to be but I think I getting my head around it all now.

Bati xx
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Hi :) my son is due to sit this year. St Anselms is his first choice but he’s sitting both exams. I have a daughter in year 7 at Upton hall and she loves it, it’s a lovely school.
Bati

Post by Bati »

Hi Sofia

I have heard lovely things about St Anselms.
My daughter will also be sitting both exams.
Wirral grammar will be our first choice but I would be more than happy with upton hall as we really like that school too.

Kelannhugh how are you and your dd doing, hope your both well.

How is your kids coping with the lock down. My dd is really starting to miss her friends and her sports clubs.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

My younger child is fine, he’s being fairly self sufficient with his work and he still has his tutor sessions online. My older child is struggling. She loves her new school and misses everything about it. Distance learning isn’t that same for her.

We only did the st Anselms open evening, thinking there’d be more evenings around this time. We wanted to see Wirral and Caldy too, although none of us were fussed on Wirral Girls when we looked with DD. I know that’s an unpopular opinion though because everyone really likes it.
Bati

Post by Bati »

I am not surprised your dd is finding it hard. Yr7 is an exciting year, it's full of new beginnings and it's when lots of kids are given more freedom. They have just started high school and everything is new. They are making new friendships and some of those will be life long.
To have all these excited things happening in your life and then it suddenly be gone has got to be hard on 11/12 yr olds.

So how is everyones 11+ prep going.
We are doing little bits here and there and trying to alternate each time what we do so we dont miss anything out. So far dd seems to be enjoying it.
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Morning

I'm really struggling to get my DD motivated. We have two young boys in the house who don't seem to understand although schools not on they still have to learn. So she's constantly distracted :(

The school have now set up online learning. Its something I guess, still think the children will be at a disadvantage. I have tried online tutoring, just wasn't working for us.

We now have a time table my DD has made to cover all her learning. I'm not confident we will cover everything, to be honest, I'm not the best teacher.

All being well our first choice is Upton. I have a couple of work friends who DD attend and have highly recommend. We would have liked to look around Wirral Girls too. Hopefully, when the schools open September they may arrange an open day.

My DD is coping ok with the lockdown, she doesn't have a lot of friends as she joined the school in year 4.
Bati

Post by Bati »

Kelannhugh

None of us are teachers so all kids are in the same boat where is comes to learning and going back to school so anything you can teach is a bonus.

School also send online work for dd. I have noticed it's things she has already learnt at school so she knows what she is doing thankfully and just asks me when she is stuck.

There is normally open days in September. We are hoping to look at West Kirby then. It's the furthest away from us but there is a school bus which makes life easier x
Bati

Post by Bati »

Hi

Hope everyone is ok and staying safe

Hows the 11+ study coming along, dd seems to be scoring quite well and has put the effort in, but who knows what actually % they need, hopefully she will be ok.

Cant believe 11+ exam is next month, time seems to have gone by quickly so far this year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now